How Do I Record Audio From Yamaha PSS-480 to 2017 Retina Macbook Pro.

Reaction score
How do I record audio from an older yamaha pss-480 keyboard to a 2017 Macbook Pro. This Macbook pro only has an audio jack and USB-C ports. The Yamaha has AUX out and MIDI IN/OUT. I am using Ableton Live.

Reaction score
Yes but as I am very new to this, can't you do so simultaneously? Or i guess what I should ask is, can I draw notes in Ableton and have them play on the keyboard?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you want the keyboard to transmit or receive MIDI, you'll need to get a USB-MIDI interface cable. You should beware of buying an inexpensive one online, as they're often unreliable or unsuitable for one reason or other. Instead, you'd be advised to get something like an iConnectivity mioXC:

That isn't your only option, but some users have reported that the iConnectivity mio works well with older MIDI keyboards-- including older Yamaha models-- and the mioXC has a USB-C connector so you won't need to buy a separate adapter for it.

That will let you transmit MIDI from the keyboard to Ableton Live to be recorded or to play virtual instruments, as well as receive MIDI from Ableton Live to be played on the keyboard using its sounds.

If you want to record the keyboard's audio, you'll need a TRS stereo audio cable. If the PSS-480 has a jack for a larger plug (1/4"), you'll either need to buy a separate audio adapter for one end of the cable, or you can buy a cable such as the following:

Again, the linked cable isn't the only choice available, but I've had experience with various types of cables from Hosa Technology and have been happy with their quality and reliability.

Reaction score
If you want the keyboard to transmit or receive MIDI, you'll need to get a USB-MIDI interface cable. You should beware of buying an inexpensive one online, as they're often unreliable or unsuitable for one reason or other. Instead, you'd be advised to get something like an iConnectivity mioXC:

That isn't your only option, but some users have reported that the iConnectivity mio works well with older MIDI keyboards-- including older Yamaha models-- and the mioXC has a USB-C connector so you won't need to buy a separate adapter for it.

That will let you transmit MIDI from the keyboard to Ableton Live to be recorded or to play virtual instruments, as well as receive MIDI from Ableton Live to be played on the keyboard using its sounds.

If you want to record the keyboard's audio, you'll need a TRS stereo audio cable. If the PSS-480 has a jack for a larger plug (1/4"), you'll either need to buy a separate audio adapter for one end of the cable, or you can buy a cable such as the following:

Again, the linked cable isn't the only choice available, but I've had experience with various types of cables from Hosa Technology and have been happy with their quality and reliability.
I have purchased the MIDI interface cable already albeit a cheaper version, hopefully it works well. But as for the audio cable goes, I have already tried plugging in an AUX cord cable with the proper adapter and have not been able to receive an audio signal. The Mac OS is very limiting in this regard. So I am assuming I need it to recognize a USB-C connection, as others have been able to connect external mics this way. Again, I'm just trying to get around the limitations Mac OS has. Thanks.

Ask a Question