I can't get to grips with my ROLAND EM50 Keyboard!

Reaction score
Greetings: My first ever Post here.
I bought a Roland EM50 as soon as they were released as a home practice keyboard. I had moved to a smaller appartment and this meant selling the Baby Grand and the Hammond X5 and its huge Leslie. I was a former pro-player in Jazz and R&B Bands - Royal Academy of Music Grade 8. Today, I'm just a silly old fart.....
I made the wrong choice as although the EM50 was very advanced in its day - and at a low price - I found it far too complex to programme and to easily use as a "go to" keyboard.....I was 60 then and am 80 now.
I have now returned to it all these many years later and am wondering if there is an "Idiot's Guide" to using it a just a very basic 61 keyboard with a small range of sounds/tones e.g. just Pianoforte, E. Piano, Organ, Vibes? I have the full142 page user manual but find it such hard going.
My only other option is just to go and buy a new "Student" type 88 note piano and make do.
When I gain more confidence I may well explore more of its potential, but given I am self-isolating for an unknown period of time, this is a rare chance to restore some ability on Keys!
Mucho gracias! Eddie Huggins

Reaction score
Welcome Eddie.

The EM50 looks like it is an Arranger and rather than go simpler over the intervening years the opposite has happened.

I had a Korg Pa700 where the Quick Guide was still 178 pages so sadly
I do not think there is a quick and easy way to learn how to use all the features of a keyboard. That said changing the sounds should be a fairly simple task and using the arranger features would just require more practice.

Korg have a series of video tutorials on their arrangers which may help giving the idea of how an arranger functions.

As for a new 88 key student piano please read:-

I have recently bought a Yamaha digital piano and went for the 73 key version for weight and ease of transportation.

There are other options for you but I will leave them for now

Reaction score
Welcome to the group Eddie. I just did a Youtube search for "Roland EM50 " and was surprised to find a good many videos. You might try a search and see if there are any video's which explain the workings of the EM 50, or other interest to you. Good luck with your quest. Don aka B3maniac

Ask a Question