I have a MIDI USB cable.. just a couple of Qs

Reaction score
I recently got a midi-USB cable with 2 midi ends (I assume for midi in and midi out)

-I want to link up a controller with only a midi out to a laptop, but if I link that up to my laptop there will be a spare midi cord dangling around. Can I leave it just dangling on its own, or do I have to jack the second one into something else?

-Can I perhaps use use it for 2 midi controllers?

-I have a sound module with a midi out/ in/ thru which I would like to use, I want to know what my options are and what exciting things I can accomplish with this midi USB cable and some of my gear, amyone here tell me what they would use one of these for? I'd like some tips that are applicable for studio and live uses.

Obviously midi isn't my forte here.. baby steps hey ;)

Thanks

Reaction score
The two midis are probably in + out. I'm thinking you'll just be able to use one midi controller.

You need some VST host software for your laptop to get it going as a sound source. Check if Asio4All works with your laptop's Operating System. Any way to get the audio out of your laptop other than the stereo headphone minijack out?

To have the option of the laptop and the sound module (from the same controller):

Controller midi OUT to sound module midi IN (midi cable) then come out from the THRU on the sound module and into the computer using your midi to USB.

There are 16 midi channels available. Think of them like phone lines. Set the sound module to receive on a different one than the computer - then switch channels appropriately on your controller depending on what you want it to talk to - sound module or laptop software.

Ask a Question