Is there a fingering chart for (all) scales?

Reaction score
Hi,
I just started learning the keyboard (self-taught for now).

I have found several decent youtube tutorials that provide the fingering for whatever chords or scales they talk about - but I am wondering whether there is a general source for the fingerings of all the scales? (especially when running scales over several octaves with the correct anchoring of the thumb)

ideally some sort of chart or pdf document that i could check regularly when needed.

any advice?

thanks ;-)

Reaction score
Welcome.

Almost all Music Books for learning will have a series of scales charts printed within them, otherwise Google is your route to find a set of charts that suites you.

What I suggest is you take a simple scale say C where all the notes are white, play each note and look at the steps between each note. ie C > D is a whole note or two half steps, D > E is another whole note or again two half steps. E > F is a 1/2 step etc.

So for the C scale you end up with Whole, Whole, 1/2, Whole, Whole, Whole, 1/2, now you can apply this spacing anywhere on your keyboard, A#, F, Eb is it all the same spacing.

Now look at the Minor scale spacing, I’ll leave it for you to work it out. Once you do you can apply the spacing to the scale of any given note.

As for the magic thumb, going up the scale, use the thumb under technique. With fingers numbered 1 > 5 with thumb as 1 play C scale 1, 2, 3 then bring the thumb under to play the fourth note, then 2, 3 and again thumb under to play the next note.

Coming down a scale the digit over technique comes into play, try to work out yourself which one to use.

Enjoy.

Reaction score
thank you, Biggles.

actually, i think i just found what i was looking for. as you said, google provided some answers:

(there is a whole set of pdfs for download that indicate finger charts for all sorts of common scales)

i hope that focusing on scales and arpeggios for the first few months of learning will provide me with some basic technique and orientation around the keyboard.

Ask a Question