Issues with a Korg cx3

Reaction score
It does sound like a keybed issue. Open up your other CX3 and hopefully you won't have the same number of parts floating around. If the number of floating parts are different check to see where the 'extra' part is attached to and that will be the source.

Reaction score
I think you are probably right. I think its a keybed issue as well. I will keep an eye out to see if any of the keys start acting differently but as for now they all seem ok

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm still hooked on the key weight issue. Those components look like nothing more than a metal slug embedded in a plastic housing. The reddish plastic tip is probably where the weight makes contact on a downward keypress. A little bit of cushioning is my guess.

In the original manual specs they mention nothing more about the keyboard type than "61 Keys"

I'm very much inclined to believe that if you were to open it up and remove the keybed you'd find those weighted slugs under each and every key.

And it would be almost impossible to tell by touch from playing it unless you had incredibly sensitive fingers.

I'm guessing weighted or semi weighted keys here.

Otherwise I really can't think of any other logical possibilities.

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, if you ever do end up opening up the keybed, your best bet for reattaching them is probably a two part expoxy resin.

Here's a couple of simple tests for the slugs in question.

1) are they plain old steel? does a fridge magnet stick to them?

2) do they weigh about 3 or 4 grams apiece?

If so then they really probably are keyboard weights.

Gary

Reaction score
The keys are very light very much like most synths or an organ. Im going to have to take this thing apart again and take a closer look when I get the chance

Reaction score
They do feel about to be or 4 grams and the fridge magnet although very weak does somewhat stick to them

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Let us know how that ends up. Remember to take pics. This is the internet. If there are no pics then it never happened! :D :D :D

Anyway, they're probably not a threat unless one comes loose while playing and it rolls into contact with a system board while powered up.

Give it a good shake before playing everytime you gig with it ;)

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, according to the manual specs that thing weighs 17 Kg or about 40 lbs. Even with the wooden casing that's pretty heavy. a couple of pounds of dead weight on the keybed would not surprise me at all.

Reaction score
IIRC clonewheels and tonewheels use spinning motorized disks with magnetic coupling to a sensor to create the tone. That's why I asked if they're magnetic. They could be magnets falling off the wheels themselves.

Also it would help if the pics were more detailed and you included a dime or a quarter to give an idea of scale.
Tonewheels use motorized disks. Clonewheels do not. The post-2001 CX3 reboot is notorious for bits falling out of the keyboard action.

Ask a Question