Juno how save presets

Reaction score
I have juno 88
Under Synth sounds I found my favorite 30 sounds out of 300. How save favorites? The manual pretty difficult to find that info.

Reaction score
thanks B sorry for delay. Ok tried the directions, and AMAZINGLY, it's not clear and does not work. You would think that Roland could not screw this up for sure enough they do.

So I'm still stuck. It's bends the mind.

step #3 says to Select the Bank. Ok I select 0 and the mintue I do that a whole group of other pre-stored sounds come up and my selection from #step 1 vanishes.

That is the end of the story Done / and stuck.

And to make things even more preposterous. step #4 says Hold down the Favorite button press 0-9 to specify the number in which the favorite will be stored, which #3 already said to do, but did not work because of what I just wrote, "a whole group of other pre-stored sounds come up and my selection fomr #step 1 vanishes.

This is a case of some dufas in Japan writing and laghing his head off. Can someone please jump in here and help me. Thanks. Sorry to sound perturbed.

Reaction score
I'm just went back to the Juno thinking maybe they wrote something out of order and I'll figure it out no luck. I want to select a favortie from Syths which is on bank 9, and store to bank 1. Can't do it. When I click bank 1, I'm out of bank 9. Hopefully someone can jump in and help here.

Reaction score
thank Big, they all have sounds. I did not do anything to put there. Should they be clear?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I don't use favorites on my DS88, instead I save user performances, but off the top of my head have you tried holding down the FAVORITES button WHILE you go thru the remaining steps?

I'll test this out tomorrow. It's too late to fire up the keyboard right here and now.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
ok Gary, I think that did work thanks! Maybe Roland has place for you in manual writing.

I go by the letter. If it does not say hold it down, I don't hold it down.... (maybe that idea/ phrase in not in Japanses..?)

BTW, today after I turend on the Juno all the drum pads were red (not usual blues and greens), and the banks were flashing red); any idea to prevent that again?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Glad to hear that it worked. :)

First of all, tech writers write for tech people. Quite often you have to read between the lines and infer what they mean and lots of hardware these days uses multiple press and hold strategies to enable and activate hidden features of multiple controls.

Secondly, I'm not sure at all what the flashing lights and buttons are about.

Did the problem persist upon multiple reboots or was it simply a one time thing?

If it was a one time thing then I wouldn't worry about it. Either it was a one time glitch or something needed to reinitialize.

If it's still happening on every boot what steps have you undertaken to eliminate the problem?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
ok Gary or others.
I selected my favorites 15 synth sounds to bank 1. The only problem is after done; non of them are in bank 1.. I don't know where they are; that's why I'm posting today.

I'm reading the "recall a Favorite sound that you have registrered". and none of it makes senese. #2 says, select the bank you want to recall and then use 0-9 to select a favoirte. but don't you turn the wheel to scroll through your favorite? Stumped. Thanks!

Reaction score
ok tried again, and I save 2 presents from Synth to Bank 0.

Now I do see them there in Bank 0 -- pushed favorites; but the perplexing thing is the most recent on added comes first, which is fine, then turn dial counterclockwise and the previous first one is after one I did not add...

Why is one there I did not add? But to makes things fully impossible, as I dial clockwise there are dozens I did not add. And this is while the favorite red light is still on --

This renders the favorite idea worthless..unless there a way to clear all favoirtes in bank zero and start clean?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Quick access buttons are just that. Buttons. You're not meant to use the dial when you're using QA buttons.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
From bottom of right hand column of Page 7 of the Juno DS manual:

Registering a Favorite

Select a patch or performance that you want to
register.

Press the [BANK] button to make it light.

Press a [0]–[9] button to select the bank in which
you want to register the favorite.

Hold down the [FAVORITE] button and press a
[0]–[9] buttons to select the number in which the
favorite will be registered.

Then go to the 2nd item from the top of the left hand column on the next page (Page 8):

"Viewing or Removing a Favorite"

for instructions to remove a single Favorite or clearing an entire bank. If the Juno DS is like my Jupiter-50 and Juno-Gi, the Favorites banks come pre-loaded with "factory suggested" favorites. It is a good idea to go through ALL of these and audit them, before deleting ANY of them, to see if there are any you want to keep. There were quite a few on my 50 and and Gi that I decided to keep. I would delete the ones I obviously did not want, during the audit process, then "resaved" the ones I wanted to keep at the top end of of Favorites memory and deleted them from their original Favorites locations. That way, I had MY Favorites at the low end of Favorites memory and the factory suggested "keepers" at the high end. Any time I wanted to go "shopping" for a "new" set up, I would just go to the high end, see if there was anything I liked, grab it, modify it as necessary, and resave it in lower memory as one of my own.

I recommend downloading the PDF copy of the DS manual, then using the Edit > Find command in Adobe Reader (or whatever PDF reader you use) to search on specific key words. It sure beats "thumbing through the pages".

Last edited:
Reaction score
Gary, are you saying that you are not really meant to save like a dozen favorites in a bank.. just one or two?

Ted, Can you say how to clear all favorites in a bank? One sentence from you equal a page on difficult text..
I have the printed manual.
No interest in keeping their favorites.
I just want to clear the bank; and put in my dozen.
Of course the default cateogory stuff will remain stay I assume.

Reaction score
Hi Kevs,

The procedure in the manual, quoted above, actually does work. Here's a great vid explaining it:

The FAV buttons do not work with the wheel. You can't select Fav 0 and then wheel up to Fav 1, 2, etc. The wheel takes you thru the patches or perfs in the category you are in. So if you want 15 Favs, you have to put 10 of them in Bank 0 and 5 in Bank 1, or similar. Try to divide them up into groups you use together, say, in a performance, so you don't have to switch Banks. If you use more than 10 in a single performance then yes, you will have to switch Banks at some point. Makes sense? I think they are super easy to use! The key is to get the sound you want displayed on the screen and active. If it's a factory patch, you're good to go, but if it's customized, you have to save it as a USER patch / perf first. Then get to the desired Bank, hold down the Fav button and push one of the Fav number buttons, and SHZAMMM! It should be saved.

Jeremy

Ask a Question