Keyboard amp or studio monitors?

Reaction score
Hey.

I'm getting a brand new keyboard very soon, and I need a keyboard amp or a couple of studiomonitors, but I'm having a hard time chosing between the options.

I play in a band, so I kinda need a little power. On the other hand, I really want pure and clear sounds, and I reckon the monitors would produce the best soundquality.

If I'm getting a keyboard amp it's going to be this:
http://www.roland.com/products/en/KC-550/index.html

If I'm going for the studio monitors, I'm gonna get these:
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1665

(I'm open for other suggestions as well)

And... if I get the monitors, are cables everything I need for them to work? Do I need some sort of amplifying device? Or do every keyboard come with some sort of inbuilt amplifier?

<<Gratwhol>>

Reaction score
I own and use all these type amps, plus a PA system, so I guess I have my choice of amplification for my keyboards. I own the KC 550 Roland keyboard amp, it is the best. I have M-Audio BX8's studio monitors I use in the studio, whole different sound and use for these, they are 130 watts with 8" drivers, and the PA I have is 2 Peavey Black Widow SP3's powered by a 602Crown amp with a Soundcraft FX16 channel Mixer. All I can say is the Roland KC550 is a great amplifier for keyboards in a live band.

I played my keys through the PA system for years, and when I got the KC550 it was like getting a new keyboard, this amp really opens up the sounds, and with 180 watts projects very well. Some guys are buying a single active (powered) PA speaker to play through, and they are built and voiced for PA use, not intended for a keyboard application like the KC550, plus 4 stereo channels and sub out.

As far as the monitors you have referenced, they are active (amp built-in) at 75 watts of power, and would work well in a studio for reference monitoring, recording or practicing... you don't need an extra amplifier to run these (but, you need a mixer)...for your keyboard. Keyboards (pro level) do not have an amp built into them, if you buy a beginners keyboard with the speakers and all built into it, you may have 5-10 watts of amplification built-in to run the dinky speakers.

So I am partial to the Roland KC 550 for all aplications, you won't be sorry when you get cranked up with a band and can actually hear yourself...and get this, I've had our bass player tell me I am too loud (oh yeah) and he plays an Ampeg 1200 watter haha! And the 550 can be lined out in stereo to a PA system for live play. Good luck on your choice.

Reaction score
I own and use all these type amps, plus a PA system, so I guess I have my choice of amplification for my keyboards.

I thought I'd hop in on this, I have been jamming with some buddies lately and since they already have a bass player & 2 guitarists, I have brought my keyboard. I have a Peavey KB-2 amp that has about 50 watts power. Since we play in a little shed, you'd think that would be enough...!!

Well, these guys like to crank up. I have my volume turned up almost all the way, but I still can't hear myself unless I have the amp right next to where I sit and put my head next to it !!!

I don't want to turn up any farther because there is already enough noise in that place. Also I don't want to dominate the place because hey, I'm a keybd beginner, I'm there to learn and I don't want to broadcast my mistakes far & wide.

I wish I had a little earbud monitor that I could just stick in my ear without killing the rest of the sound like regular headphones do. I don't want to introduce any more big monitors to the setup because there is already too much equipment in that little shed.

Is there such a thing as an earbud monitor? Or maybe if I just tilted my amp a little so it was a bit off the floor...:cool:

Reaction score
hey Laura, jammin' with bands in a small space like you describe is a problem monitoring for everyone, not just you...and most of the time its the guitars and drums that are the dominate sound in the room. Are you playing with a drummer too? Do you have vocalists singing through a PA system? If you are using a PA system try lining out of your Peavey amp into the mixer and bring your volume up, if no mixer try raising your amp up off the floor to where the horn in the amp is just head level. Also the band can "turn down the volume". A 50 watt amp really isn't much power to jamm with a live band, and take on guitars and drums especially in a small room. There are companies that do make the earbuds for monitoring and work great, you could also plug some headphones into the PA mixer, most have headphone outs. Most musicians want to hear one another playing, and you definitely want to hear yourself. Good luck

Reaction score
<<Gratwhol>> You won't be sorry with a Roland KC550, they KICK! btw What keyboard did you purchase?

Laura I just found a buy on a new MM6 for $539 w/LE!!!

Reaction score
<<Gratwhol>> You won't be sorry with a Roland KC550, they KICK! btw What keyboard did you purchase?

Laura I just found a buy on a new MM6 for $539 w/LE!!!

awesome. I paid full price--$599. Wish I'd looked for one of those rebate deals. OTOH I would have had to have it shipped from one of those Music catalog places and I'm kind of sick of those. I didn't trust getting a keyboard shipped to me...what if it was damaged?

Reaction score
I didn't trust getting a keyboard shipped to me...what if it was damaged?

They would probably send you a new one in exchange for the damaged one. Otherwise.. sue them! :p

Well, my parents sponsored me, so I got a MOTIF XS8 :D
I won't be needing a new keyboard for the remainder of my life xD

<<Gratwhol>>

Reaction score
They would probably send you a new one in exchange for the damaged one. Otherwise.. sue them! :p

Well, my parents sponsored me, so I got a MOTIF XS8 :D
I won't be needing a new keyboard for the remainder of my life xD

<<Gratwhol>>

lucky YOU!

I'm "sponsoring" 2 boys in college so I have to go for the cheapest equipment in existence.:rolleyes:

Reaction score
well....with the Motif XS8 and the Roland KC550 you'll have a little more power at your hands. Congrats!

All my "kids" are grown but seem to never leave home....and...
if I didn't have to hock my house I'd have one of them XS8's!

with the "open box" deal on the MM6, and the "rebate" it'll cost me $439... full 1 year warranty and 45 day return if'n I don't like it. Plus, I am a UPS junkie haha

Reaction score
received the MM6 yesterday, played around with it for an hour and so far not too impressed...it may be back on the truck soon.

Reaction score
the soundbank is good, although compared to my current keyboard is limited in its selections, the keybed is main reason I am sending the MM6 back, I've played semi weighted 76 keys for last seven years, and the 61 key synth style keys cramps my style (if I have one haha) already have a RA number, and I'm going to exchange it for an Alesis QS8.2....I was really trying to get a lighter keyboard for cheap to haul around, didn't work out for me, so now I'll try out a cheaper$$ keyboard.

Reaction score
I'm going to exchange it for an Alesis QS8.2....I was really trying to get a lighter keyboard for cheap to haul around, didn't work out for me, so now I'll try out a cheaper$$ keyboard.

I thought the Alesis was $799, or are you getting it used?

Someone said that the low polyphony was the main problem with the MM6. Well I keep looking at other keyboards just as a "what if I had got this one instead" exercise, but I still haven't found a lot of alternatives at the $600 price level. About the only other one was the Roland Juno D for $499 and when I played it at the store it wasn't that appealing somehow. maybe just because the Roland interface isn't as user-friendly.

One could get a used keyboard, but after I tried to buy the used Triton LE, and they told me "it's fried", I was glad it didn't wait a week and self-destruct AFTER I had bought it. That would have been a distressing experience for a newbie!!

I don't find the polyphony to be that much of an issue unless I'm using patterns & arpeggios together. Which I don't really do on a serious basis.

Or else maybe if you record a song and try to play along with it... that might give you a polyphony problem. Haven't tried that yet.

Reaction score
For chording the polyphony really wasn't limiting on the mm6, and the interface was "easy" to manuever around. I thought I would be satisfied with 61 keys, but being a rock player I use the low E notes for song endings alot, and the MM6 stops atC and leaves no E octaves to rattle on....crescendos....not all used keyboards are fried, some are good buys, just got to use caution and try them out...no I didn't buy a used Alesis SQ8.2 but I found a D&S at a real good buy. Most of my buys are D&S items, no problems. There's no happy medium for me, if you want the 76-88 keys it seems you have to put up with the weight of a heavier keyboard.

Reaction score
rock keyboard

being a rock player I use the low E notes for song endings alot

Most of my buys are D&S items, no problems.

What is D&S?

I'm curious, as a rock player do you play a lot of bass lines & left-hand stuff? Is there a bass player in the band?

I've started jamming with this grateful dead band, they have 2 guitars & a 5 string bass. I find the only real "room" for a keyboard is some "sparkle" on the high end. Like organ chords & rhythms.

I'm curious what other rock keyboardists do.

When the bass player in our group doesn't show up, I said "hmmm, there's a bass in this keyboard, why not use that?"

I wouldn't imagine it has the thump of a real bass, but I wonder how well it would work.

Reaction score
hey Laura, jammin' with bands in a small space like you describe is a problem monitoring for everyone, not just you...and most of the time its the guitars and drums that are the dominate sound in the room. Are you playing with a drummer too?
There are companies that do make the earbuds for monitoring and work great

Oh yeah, there's a drummer too. There is a PA system, but I definitely wouldn't be able to hear myself if I plugged into that!!! I've been down that road before...

I'm thinking "raise the amp up off the floor so it's near my ear". But also, can you point me toward a company that makes ear bud monitors? Searching on Yahoo doesn't always give you the best matches.

Reaction score
I've bought alot of gear from this company (and others) I get alot of good D&S (dent and scratch) deals here, usually have a hard time finding the D or S all gear comes with 45 day try it out....Ear bud systems:

http://www.americanmusical.com/sort--In-Ear-Monitor-Systems--m-06_76_316.html

Raising your amp up to ear level is probably best bet or get more power. Playing in rock bands is always about power, but playing together, listening to each other and then playing off of one another is important....complimenting the music and each other.

I grew up (and older) listening to EL&P, Deep Purple (John Lord) and Skynyrd (Billy Powell), Lord and Powell kinda shaped my organ and piano style...get a copy of "Lazy" by Deep Purple, and a copy of "Things Goin On" by Skynyrd, those organ and piano parts lead to some amazing surprises and teachings.

No I don't play bass guitar parts with my left hand, mostly single, double notes and chord patterns. I do bass/melody lines where required. I just don't think a keybass sounds like a bass guitar...and we have a bassist.

Sounds to me like you are in a rockin' outfit.

Reaction score
Playing in rock bands is always about power, but playing together, listening to each other and then playing off of one another is important....complimenting the music and each other.

Yeah. I've already experienced the "volume wars". I think 'waaay too many drums' has a lot to do with it. Drums can't be 'turned down'. Among the other problems it leads to singers having to scream at the top of their lungs, cause 'you can't plug a cable into your voice and turn up the volume' and the vocals are generally put thru the PA system, where they get lost in the mix so the singer can't hear her voice. I've been down that road.
I grew up (and older) listening to EL&P, Deep Purple (John Lord) and Skynyrd (Billy Powell), Lord and Powell kinda shaped my organ and piano style...get a copy of "Lazy" by Deep Purple, and a copy of "Things Goin On" by Skynyrd, those organ and piano parts lead to some amazing surprises and teachings.
I grew up listening to the Doors "Light My Fire" and Iron Butterfly's "Ina-gadda-da-vida". Someday I'm gonna learn those songs!!:D

Ask a Question