Keyboard for novice?

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm looking into buying a keyboard on which to learn but at this stage I don't want to spend any more than £100 ($200). I'll go up to £150 ($300) if I really have to. I don't know if there's much difference at that price range but I'm more interested in as much authenticity in the feel and sound of the piano simulation rather than having four thousand woodwind voices although I don't suppose there's a great deal of choice for that money.

Would I stand a better chance of getting what I want if I were to get a MIDI keyboard to plug into the PC and some software (the choice of which is also a complete mystery to me)? Assuming that is the alternative to a standalone keyboard.

Either way, I'd be very interested in hearing any suggestions. Many thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm looking into buying a keyboard on which to learn but at this stage I don't want to spend any more than £100 ($200). I'll go up to £150 ($300) if I really have to. I don't know if there's much difference at that price range but I'm more interested in as much authenticity in the feel and sound of the piano simulation rather than having four thousand woodwind voices although I don't suppose there's a great deal of choice for that money.

Would I stand a better chance of getting what I want if I were to get a MIDI keyboard to plug into the PC and some software (the choice of which is also a complete mystery to me)? Assuming that is the alternative to a standalone keyboard.

Either way, I'd be very interested in hearing any suggestions. Many thanks in advance.

I think Yamaha has some pretty nice keyboards in that range. Originally I was going to get one of those myself. They have a wide variety of sounds and some of them in the PSR series have a self teaching setup.

If you want MIDI, I think these boards have a USB out. Personally I'm not all that impressed with MIDI...

Ask a Question