Korg SP-170

Reaction score
I (am about to) own a Korg SP-170.

The model actually only has a midi output and two headphone jacks. I don't know very much about the technical side of things, and was wondering about how this would affect gigging with the keyboard?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
It's a home piano - not build for stage.

You could plug it in via a stereo cable, but that requires a stereo channel
on the mixer where your gig will take place, but that's not the way you want to do it.

First of all... why buy a Korg as a stage piano? Their piano sounds are... well... terrible.

Take a look at the Yamaha CP33, Yamaha P155 (home piano but has L/R outputs),
Kawai ES6, Kawai Mp5, Roland RD300SX/GX.

Korg would be my last choice when it comes to pure stage pianos - But that's just me.

Although the SV-1 isn't bad, but i think it costs way more than the SP170

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice, Skipp.

I'm basically just looking for a keyboard with weighted keys that is suitable for doing the occasional live performance, and that isn't particularly expensive.

The Yamaha CP33 would be the best choice, except for the lack built-in speakers. I'm considering the Yamaha P155 now instead. The rest you have suggested are out of my price range.

Are there any other keyboards you could recommend that fit my needs?

Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I think the P155 costs twice as the Kawai ES6.

At least the prices at my local stores are. But if you can afford it - go for Yamaha. You won't regret it.

I own the CP33, and I do lots of live gigs - never once it failed me.

Just one more side note - Kawai has a bit lighter keyboard action then Yamaha,
but I prefer Yamaha over any stage piano.

Reaction score
Well, calling something a STAGE piano would imply you can actually get it on stage and hook it up to some major amplifier system.

I'm sorry, but you can't do that with the SP170... You can do a workaround and
get some converter jacks, stereo cables that split into 2 mono cables, or have your own
little mixer that you'll plug your keyboard in, and then send 2 extra cables from your
little mixer to the big mixer that's on the main amp system...
but that's just not the way it should be on stage.

There are pianos that are build for home purposes only - SP170 is one of them.

P.S. The "SP" part for all i care can stand for "Shitty Piano" - after all - there are KORG's piano sounds in there :D

Reaction score
Skipp knows nothing

hello...don't listen to skipp...the KORG SP-170 is a brilliant piece of work....fabulous weighted keys that are heavier on the bottom than on the top end (just like a real piano), and a truly superb grand piano sound (an excellent steinway sample) make it a super digital piano.....it is 26 pounds, well constructed, and the headphone jacks provide a solid balanced output - all you need is the proper cable that you can buy from any electronbics store like radio shack....it is a piece of cake to operate, and is durable to use on stage......do not listen to this guy who for some reason just happens to hate KORG....feel the piano, and listen to the sound....this is what you should take to the bank, not the words of some dude who seems to hate KORG for whatever reason....for under 600 bucks, this piano is a steal.....there are 10 sounds in total, very good electric pianos, a great vibe patch, and the harpsichord and strings are cool too.....anyway, like i said, many pros love this thing, especially if all they want is a godo digital piano....no bells and whistles, but it does have good reverb and chorus, as well as midi out.....if you need midi in, then this is not the piano for you.....but as far as sound and action, i like it better than the top of the line yamahas and rolands, and i am not kidding

Ask a Question