Korg SV1-73 - What's the best PA / Amp to use

Reaction score
Trying to find the best PA or Amp to use to get the most out of my Korg SV1-73. I have a Roland KC-150 amp and it's ok, tends to sound a bit hallow... a little muddled sometimes. Maybe I'm just not using the amp correctly, not sure.

Any suggestions out there so I can get those rich piano sounds on the SV1?

Also, when plugging into a PA that is running 'phantom' power throughout the mixer, do I need to use a DI box or can I plug directly into the PA? I've heard with phantom power (which our lead singer is running for his microphone) it could potentially damage keyboard if you plug directly from keyboard into PA.

thanks
Paul

Reaction score
Is it to gig the Korg - or just play it at home?

Phantom power or not - I always use a D.I. and go into the XLR on any desk or powered head. Even when the phantom switch is off some still seem to have a bit of residual lighting there to complicate things.

Doesn't need to be expensive - I tend to use what I'm given but carry a couple of spare Behringer passive ones (with a ground loop). They sound fine when I've used them.

Passive for keyboards - you don't want/need the sound coloured.

Reaction score
We used to use "director" di's, from whirlwind, i think...
Also we use Roland KC-550 powered Keyboard amps. Great built-in mixer and 1 15" speaker/ 180 watts.
Just my 2 cents...

Reaction score
Is it to gig the Korg - or just play it at home?

Phantom power or not - I always use a D.I. and go into the XLR on any desk or powered head. Even when the phantom switch is off some still seem to have a bit of residual lighting there to complicate things.

Doesn't need to be expensive - I tend to use what I'm given but carry a couple of spare Behringer passive ones (with a ground loop). They sound fine when I've used them.

Passive for keyboards - you don't want/need the sound coloured.

Thanks.... this is helpful. I"m looking for both.. home use plus I gig in a band. Usually when I gig I"m plugging into the venue's PA system. I was told a Radial ProD2 would be a good DI box. I use a rather cheap Whirlwind now, but wondering if a better DI would give me a better sound.

Thanks again for the helpful tips.

Reaction score
We used to use "director" di's, from whirlwind, i think...
Also we use Roland KC-550 powered Keyboard amps. Great built-in mixer and 1 15" speaker/ 180 watts.
Just my 2 cents...

I"ll definitely look into the Roland KC-550 amp. Again, I"m using a Roland KC-150 at home, but the sound just is a bit hollow for some reason. The amp is in excellent condition, so not sure what the deal is... maybe I"m just too picky on sound, although I'll know it when I get the sound right. I just want that rich, resonant piano sound that I know the SV1 73 is capable of producing.

Reaction score
D.I. - don't know Whirlwind but it might be a regional thing and they're ok - I was gigging years before I saw a Mackie PA - the last five years it's unusual when a function band I gigging with hasn't got one.

The Radial ones are solid, as are the ART ones, trying to think about what I see a lot of in theatres and hire companies.

Better DI for a better sound? Try it and see. My feeling is you'll be into oscilloscopes to prove one is markedly better than another - just get a passive one from a brand you've heard of.

Playing at home and playing out - I've run separate systems for twenty years. At home I've use little powered studio monitors (even computer speakers on a budget) set up permanently - and you get to joy of stereo and low volume fidelity. Check reviews on (UK magazine) Sound On Sound for nearfield monitors. Absolute Reveal 5As (A is for active) have been out for ever now - you see second hand ones all the time. Check they're not blown and they'll be fine.

Live - depends on the gig and if the audience is relying on your combo amp to hear you or if you're going through the PA.

Combos for power/punch but with good fidelity:

Budget combo - try your Korg through one of the new Mackie Thumps - the 12" one maybe.

Expensive - the QSC K10 (there's a K8 and K12 too).

That or an active speaker that'll sit on the ground like a wedge.

Get into some music shops (or hire companies) with your keyboard, set up and see what they have.

That Roland is fine BTW - if it's just to hear yourself on stage, raise it up on a combo stand and don't run it full on. Your keyboards are never going to sound as good on stage as they are at home through monitors. With a quality PA and reasonably competent sound engineer - they should be sounding good out front.

Good luck.

Reaction score
D.I. - don't know Whirlwind but it might be a regional thing and they're ok - I was gigging years before I saw a Mackie PA - the last five years it's unusual when a function band I gigging with hasn't got one.

The Radial ones are solid, as are the ART ones, trying to think about what I see a lot of in theatres and hire companies.

Better DI for a better sound? Try it and see. My feeling is you'll be into oscilloscopes to prove one is markedly better than another - just get a passive one from a brand you've heard of.

Playing at home and playing out - I've run separate systems for twenty years. At home I've use little powered studio monitors (even computer speakers on a budget) set up permanently - and you get to joy of stereo and low volume fidelity. Check reviews on (UK magazine) Sound On Sound for nearfield monitors. Absolute Reveal 5As (A is for active) have been out for ever now - you see second hand ones all the time. Check they're not blown and they'll be fine.

Live - depends on the gig and if the audience is relying on your combo amp to hear you or if you're going through the PA.

Combos for power/punch but with good fidelity:

Budget combo - try your Korg through one of the new Mackie Thumps - the 12" one maybe.

Expensive - the QSC K10 (there's a K8 and K12 too).

That or an active speaker that'll sit on the ground like a wedge.

Get into some music shops (or hire companies) with your keyboard, set up and see what they have.

That Roland is fine BTW - if it's just to hear yourself on stage, raise it up on a combo stand and don't run it full on. Your keyboards are never going to sound as good on stage as they are at home through monitors. With a quality PA and reasonably competent sound engineer - they should be sounding good out front.

Good luck.

Really appreciate the details response here. I"ll comb through this whole post and do some searching on the brands/gear you've mentioned. Thanks again!

Ask a Question