Leslie rotary cabinet options for Hammond XK3-c?

Reaction score
hi all, I have a hammond XK3C and I'm not getting that rich, grinding full hammond/Leslie sound I want for gigs.

I think a Leslie cab speaker might fix it. but they're so damn expensive. any pointers on affordable options?
or what kind of speaker do you think you get the best bang for my buck?
I think brand Leslie cabs can go for $3200
but maybe there is a cheaper option out there?
I really dont want to buy more gear and more expenses, but I do want to get that authentic real sound, you know?

OR.... maybe there's a guitar pedal option I could try instead?

ps. I know I could run it midi through a laptop and maybe buy an FX program, but I'm a little nervous about bringing my laptop to gigs

Reaction score
Check out this whole video. Especially pay attention to the 3 minute mark since you mentioned the grinding sound of a tube leslie.

I have one, it's the real deal....

And here is a direct comparison of the Vent to a 122 leslie

Last edited:
Reaction score
Check out this whole video. Especially pay attention to the 3 minute mark since you mentioned the grinding sound of a tube leslie.

I have one, it's the real deal....

And here is a direct comparison of the Vent to a 122 leslie

interesting. thank you for the tip. ill look into this.
it's interesting that he didn't mention anything about the SLOW to FAST button? to me isn't that where a lot of that Leslie vibrato comes from?

Reaction score
it's interesting that he didn't mention anything about the SLOW to FAST button? to me isn't that where a lot of that Leslie vibrato comes from?

Neo has a matching external two-button slow / fast & stop footswitch.
Or you can use a keyboard-mounted new Hammond half-moon switch for authenticity.
Read the owners manual.

Highest recommendation for the Vent II.
If for some strange reason you don't like it, they hold their value on the used after-market.

You will find cheaper Leslie simulator pedals, but the Vent is the Cadillac.

Last edited:
Reaction score
All the button does is move the leslie from slow to fast and back, he mentioned that he hand wired a half moon switch so that he could trigger slow/fast from that (in video one) rather than using the Vent as a "stomp box" and he used the slow/fast button on the XK3 to trigger slow/fast on the Vent in video 2. I also handwired a switch for mine as well, the schematic to do the wiring is in the owners manual of the Vent.

Leslie "vibrato" also comes from the organ itself, from the Chorus/Vibrato circuitry, known as the 'vibrato scanner' (V1 through C3 being different levels of intensity). That is the vibrato piece; the spinning of the leslie horn and drum comes from engaging the slow/fast option and he demo'd that in the video. I'm not sure if you are using bad "terminology" or you are more of a novice to the hammond/leslie theory. I'm not here to insult your intelligence, but thought I'd offer this link, it will help in understanding how the hammond and the leslie 'come together' (no Beatles pun intended):

Last edited:
Reaction score
looks like there's a ventilator 2 out now?

there are several models, different horses for different courses. Are the new ones 'better', in my view, no. They are a little smaller and some have less features. The Vent 2 (not the mini Vent 2) has reported issues with one of the parts and it is a pain to find that part. It causes the unit to move to bypass mode and not come out of bypass mode, therefore no leslie effect. None of the other models report that issue; that particular troublesome part seems only to be used in the Vent 2. My original Vent has been through 1000 gigs/practices, it is a war horse and you can probably snag one at the same price as a new mini-vent.

Last edited:
Reaction score
there are several models, different horses for different courses. Are the new ones 'better', in my view, no. They are a little smaller and some have less features. The Vent 2 (not the mini Vent 2) has reported issues with one of the parts and it is a pain to find that part. It causes the unit to move to bypass mode and not come out of bypass mode, therefore no leslie effect. None of the other models report that issue; that particular troublesome part seems only to be used in the Vent 2. My original Vent has been through 1000 gigs/practices, it is a war horse and you can probably snag one at the same price as a new mini-vent.
nice great tips. thank you. so sounds like I should find the older version

Reaction score
hi all, I have a hammond XK3C and I'm not getting that rich, grinding full hammond/Leslie sound I want for gigs.

I think a Leslie cab speaker might fix it. but they're so damn expensive. any pointers on affordable options?
or what kind of speaker do you think you get the best bang for my buck?
I think brand Leslie cabs can go for $3200
but maybe there is a cheaper option out there?
I really dont want to buy more gear and more expenses, but I do want to get that authentic real sound, you know?

OR.... maybe there's a guitar pedal option I could try instead?

ps. I know I could run it midi through a laptop and maybe buy an FX program, but I'm a little nervous about bringing my laptop to gigs

I had an XK3 and I used a Ventilator 2 pedal. I have a B3 and a 122 at home and with the Vent in stereo through the PA, the sound was almost identical to the 122 with the pedal-to-the-metal. Plenty of grunge from the XK3 itself and the best Leslie simulation from the Ventilator 2.

Reaction score
Have you tried using the alternate virtual Leslie models simulatied inside the unit itself? That coupled with the different uses of real tube, distortion built-in also, and tweaking the tone control should be all you need - at least mine sounds great with a little bit of experimentation. No doubt you’ve already tried that and they’re not satisfactory… I guess that goes to show that ‘grind’ can be subjective.

Reaction score
Have you tried using the alternate virtual Leslie models simulatied inside the unit itself? That coupled with the different uses of real tube, distortion built-in also, and tweaking the tone control should be all you need - at least mine sounds great with a little bit of experimentation. No doubt you’ve already tried that and they’re not satisfactory… I guess that goes to show that ‘grind’ can be subjective.
I have. wasn't satisfied with it. trying to strengthen it.

Reaction score
so you prefer this one over the new ventilator 2?

That's the one I have; I would only avoid the Vent 2 because of the issue with the one part that people have reported issues with which causes the unit to get stuck in bypass mode and therefore there is no leslie sound.

current products are here: https://neo-instruments.com/products/

the one i own is 'legacy' product and not shown on the website anymore.

Reaction score
That's the one I have; I would only avoid the Vent 2 because of the issue with the one part that people have reported issues with which causes the unit to get stuck in bypass mode and therefore there is no leslie sound.

current products are here: https://neo-instruments.com/products/

the one i own is 'legacy' product and not shown on the website anymore.
yeah. the problem is I dont think I can find your model anymore. all I can find are vent 2s.

Reaction score
yeah. the problem is I dont think I can find your model anymore. all I can find are vent 2s.
Nothing wrong with the mini vent 2. it has no issues. compare the features of the mini vent, the missing features might not be ones that you would fiddle with. Typically, with Neo, when a feature is missing it just means that feature isn't user adjustable, although it is still there. One that comes to mind is acceleration (ramp up/down). On one of the models the ramp is a standard 122 ramp up/down, it's not adjustable to speed up or slow down the ramp however the ramp is a typical 122 ramp so it really doesn't need to be adjusted. I'd look at a mini vent 2, compare the features to the others.

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the mini vent 2. it has no issues. compare the features of the mini vent, the missing features might not be ones that you would fiddle with. Typically, with Neo, when a feature is missing it just means that feature isn't user adjustable, although it is still there. One that comes to mind is acceleration (ramp up/down). On one of the models the ramp is a standard 122 ramp up/down, it's not adjustable to speed up or slow down the ramp however the ramp is a typical 122 ramp so it really doesn't need to be adjusted. I'd look at a mini vent 2, compare the features to the others.
thank you. sounds like you really know your stuff. I really appreciate your insight.

honestly there were a lot of bells and whistles on the Vent 2 that were head scratchers for me.

basically, I'm not really satisfied with the Hammond XK3C Leslie simulator and I want to get more of that trademark Leslie effect.
in my mind it's the that soulful spinning gospelly sound that I'm just hoping to get more of...

I'll check out the mini vent 2...

Reaction score
follow up question. so it seems like these Neo Vents have just 2 control buttons. It's essentially binary.

you can press the button on the right for the Leslie Sim and the button on the left is "Bypass". my question is when I play hammond, I usually toggle between the Leslie sim and NO Leslie sim...

when using the NEO VENT, is it a simple on/off switch for using the simulator, or not?

for example, when you play, do you have it on all the time and then you press "Bypass" if you want it to stop it temporarily? or do you play with the NEO VENT on? spinning all the time?

thank you!

Reaction score
follow up question. so it seems like these Neo Vents have just 2 control buttons. It's essentially binary.

you can press the button on the right for the Leslie Sim and the button on the left is "Bypass". my question is when I play hammond, I usually toggle between the Leslie sim and NO Leslie sim...

when using the NEO VENT, is it a simple on/off switch for using the simulator, or not?

for example, when you play, do you have it on all the time and then you press "Bypass" if you want it to stop it temporarily? or do you play with the NEO VENT on? spinning all the time?

thank you!
You are confusing stop (no spin) with bypass. Bypass means the signal bypasses the leslie sim altogether as if you took a hammond organ signal from the preamp of the hammond and ran it straight into a powered monitor. You would get zero leslie effect, simply a hammond feed directly into a powered monitor. Stop just means the speakers arent spinning (i.e. neither spinning fast nor slow, just stopped). You still get a leslie effect, like the leslie amp distortion and the cabinet resonance, just no spinning effect. So if you hit bypass you are going around the leslie (as if it werent in the signal chain) where with stop there is still a leslie effect, just no spinning speakers. If you had a keyboard that you used for piano and organ and only had one set of outputs from that keyboard (like an SK1) and you wanted to use the acoustic piano you would need to bypass the leslie so that the piano wouldnt go through the leslie effect, rather it would go around it. If you wanted to emulate a single speed leslie, like a model 45, the way you would emulate that on the vent is to engage stop and the leslie would then switch between stop and fast speeds until you took it out of stop mode in which it would return to slow and fast switching.

Ask a Question