Live setup?

Reaction score
So my first gig is coming up in a few weeks and I know NOTHING about setting my keyboard up live. I dont want to use my combo amp because I know it wont sound good live at all. Most people are just saying "Just hooki it up to the PA" Is that really all i do? I've been looking online and lots of players are using speakers and mixers and things. Could someone please explain a little in detail what I need to play live? Thanks!

I have a microkorg and a roland juno-G. I can spend around 500 maybe a little more. I will be playing in small to medium venues and i will be playing in a metalcore band(heavy metal with dancey techno synth lines)

Reaction score
What brand/model of combo amp do you have? Normally you will want to run through an amp on stage that is facing you in order to hear what you are playing. Then you also need to get the signal from your keyboard(s) to the main PA system so everybody else can hear what you're playing. This can be done in a few different ways. Either by using Direct Boxes similar to THIS, or by using a small mixer to submix your instruments and send a single line to the PA, or by using the Direct Output of your combo amp (which we won't know to be possible until we know what amp you have :) )

Reaction score
I have an alesis sumo 300. But i wouldnt mind getting a different amp if I needed to for easier setup. As long as it isnt going to be breaking the bank. Also if I chose to go with the mizer route could I hook a laptop to the mixer? Thanks for your reply!

Reaction score
I see no reason to spend money on anything else. The Sumo 300 has 4 stereo inputs, you have two keyboards and possibly a laptop. That's one channel to spare. Actually the Sumo 300 consists of three separate sections; a four channel stereo mixer with three band EQ and built-in effects processor, a 305 watt power amp, and a 2-way speaker cabinet. Everything you need for monitoring on stage and for providing a balanced signal for the main PA.

Odds are the PA is not running in stereo (and even if it is, do yourself a favor and run in mono on stage and in the PA) so just run a single instrument cable from each mono output of each keyboard into separate mono inputs (these will be the left inputs of each channel) of the Sumo 300, and using a single microphone cable come out of the Left Stereo Output of the Sumo300 to a channel of the PA. Set the levels of the Sumo channels and then the PA mixer channel your plugged into and you're ready to rock.

Dave

Reaction score
Awesome! :) Thanks so much for your help. Im stoked to hear that what I have can handle it. Cheers!

Reaction score
I hope you have a great first gig! Here are a few things to think about;
  1. Make sure you have adequate A/C extension cords and power strips- you want to plug your entire rig, i.e. both keyboards, amp and laptop into the same A/C circuit to avoid ground loop hum.
  2. Also don't forget the proper adapter cables in order to plug your laptop into a 1/4" input of your amp.
  3. Think of some way to either tilt the Sumo back some so it is aimed up at you or raise it up off the ground. Unless you have ears on the back of your knees you'll either want to tilt it or put it on a table or stand to raise it more to ear level. In the past I have used one of those silver restaurant tray stands (I purchased one at a local restaurant supply company for not much $). But your amp is on the heavy side at 75 lbs. so that may not be the best idea.
  4. Speaking of ground loop hum, there is a very good chance that you will experience a ton of noise by plugging your laptop into your amp. You will probably hear a constant hum as well as motor noise from the hard drive. You can either run the laptop from battery power or if you want to use A/C power (and why wouldn't you really) then I suggest getting something like THIS or at the very least one of THESE. I have carried both of these Ebtech products in my gig bag for years and they have saved the day (or night) many times.
Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of live performance!

Dave

Ask a Question