Looking for a small keyboard for performing

Reaction score
Hi - I have a Korg Triton LE that I use for piano sounds and it's great, though a bit old at this point. The kind of music I play is basically piano accompaniment to an amazing vocalist. I'm looking for a small keyboard (2-3 octaves) that I can set up to add some sounds. Like, for example, on some songs I would like a deep bass synth, or the ability to play a lead melody. I really need this keyboard to be intuitive and simple to use during a performance. I want to create a list of sounds and just toggle through them as I need them (on the Korg I never quite figured this out). I would probably only use 6-8 sounds. I do have a USB keyboard and I could hook that up to a computer, but I don't want to lug around a laptop and all that for every performance (not to mention the possibility of a computer crash).

Any recommendations?

Thank you.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
16 buttons per bank, 16 banks. All a single button push away.

You write with one button push and you can compare sounds before you overwrite.

It is a performer's machine.

Reaction score
It all depends on budget. As for me, I would try that new Roland GoKey 5. Seems for the $500 price it gives some nice sounds. I tried the original GoKey several years ago and was quite impressed.

Reaction score
Hi - I have a Korg Triton LE that I use for piano sounds and it's great, though a bit old at this point. The kind of music I play is basically piano accompaniment to an amazing vocalist. I'm looking for a small keyboard (2-3 octaves) that I can set up to add some sounds. Like, for example, on some songs I would like a deep bass synth, or the ability to play a lead melody. I really need this keyboard to be intuitive and simple to use during a performance. I want to create a list of sounds and just toggle through them as I need them (on the Korg I never quite figured this out). I would probably only use 6-8 sounds.

This is to use in conjunction with the Triton, right? Can you list the 6-8 sounds you'd ideally like to have? What's your budget?

I do have a USB keyboard and I could hook that up to a computer, but I don't want to lug around a laptop

A USB keyboard can also trigger sounds from an iPhone or iPad, if you happen to have one... and that might be something you're taking to the gig anyway.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Does anyone think this guy may have bought a board and unwatched the thread by now?

He last posted in the middle of February and here we are at tax-time. :p

If they don't bother to follow up their own thread then why in hell do we keep beating dead mules?

Ask a Question