Looking for Keyboard

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm looking for a good keyboard. I have an old-ass PSR, and it's time for me to step up. I need a basic keyboard with at least these voices, in good quality:

1. Darker-sounding piano
2. Strings that don't sound too high or cheesy
3. Some sort of choir

Some other cool effects would be nice, but those are the necessary ones. (I'm planning to buy a Xiosynth as well, so synths are covered for me.) However, I'm only 16 and my budget is $700 at the absolute MAX. I don't need 88 keys or weighted keys, just good sounding piano and strings. I would get a MIDI controller, but I don't have a laptop and I'm retarded with MIDI software. Any reccomendations?

Reaction score
'

Hello & welcome - please read the thread I posted yesterday in the introduction section - I hope it may explain why my reply is as follows!...

Where are you from? - are you in a big city area where things are easier to find, or miles from anywhere & internet shopping is the way to go?

When you say you have $700 to spend does this mean US dollars/Australian/Canadian etc, etc...

Reaction score
Well budget would make getting a good keyboard difficult. In general I find yamaha pianos to be bright. This is decent for cutting through a mix, but in general I prefer the sound of Roland's pianos (I own a Roland RD-300sx and a yamaha motif rack... I do like the sounds of the yamaha pianos in general, but I notice they're brighter than Roland's). Can't comment on Korg or Kurzweil. These are outside of your price range though.

In fact I'm not so sure there is anything within your price range that has GOOD piano/string sounds, at least not brand new. I bought my Motif rack used for $480 CAD, only reason it's so cheap is beause there's both the ES and XS models available. So that could be an upgrade if you went that route. Only problem is strings are not great (more synthy... pads and strings I don't feel are the strengths of this module, more vintage EP sounds like Wurly, Rhodes, Organs, and decent pianos). Also, since it is Yamaha the piano sounds will be bright.

My suggestion then? Try and find a used keyboard that fits your bill. I find the Roland RD-300sx very good for strings, and the pianos are pretty good, nice and dark. I tend to avoid using piano sounds in general as no DP feels close enough to me, but yeah it's not bad, especially through good amplification. And the good news? The newere model is the Roland RD-300gx, so you could find a used RD-300sx. I doubt you'll find it as cheap as $700 though. Other rolands perhaps could be good.

Used korg keyboards might be good... although I've heard the piano sounds are not that great, haven't tried one myself.

Sorry, can't help you much beyond that. The only DP I know under $700 new that people talk about are the Casio Privia series, but I don't think they're known for super good sound quality, more for the action and a "passable" piano sound, nothing to write home about. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. Short answer though, if I were looking for a DP with good Piano and Strings I'd look at the Roland brand, I feel it's where they excel.

Reaction score
'
Another thought, Nicholas - you didn't mention whether or not you have amplification?
If you don't then this would obviously limit the options available to you.

In general, better quality keyboards do not have built-in speakers,
so this is something to consider.

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies!

'
Where are you from? - are you in a big city area where things are easier to find, or miles from anywhere & internet shopping is the way to go?

When you say you have $700 to spend does this mean US dollars/Australian/Canadian etc, etc...

I live in El Paso, TX. We have a guitar center and a few other smaller music shops, so musical stuff is relatively easy to come by. I usually do shopping online, though, cause most of the time it's cheaper. And it's around $700 U.S.

In fact I'm not so sure there is anything within your price range that has GOOD piano/string sounds, at least not brand new. I bought my Motif rack used for $480 CAD, only reason it's so cheap is beause there's both the ES and XS models available. So that could be an upgrade if you went that route. Only problem is strings are not great (more synthy... pads and strings I don't feel are the strengths of this module, more vintage EP sounds like Wurly, Rhodes, Organs, and decent pianos). Also, since it is Yamaha the piano sounds will be bright.

My suggestion then? Try and find a used keyboard that fits your bill. I find the Roland RD-300sx very good for strings, and the pianos are pretty good, nice and dark. I tend to avoid using piano sounds in general as no DP feels close enough to me, but yeah it's not bad, especially through good amplification. And the good news? The newere model is the Roland RD-300gx, so you could find a used RD-300sx. I doubt you'll find it as cheap as $700 though. Other rolands perhaps could be good.

Used korg keyboards might be good... although I've heard the piano sounds are not that great, haven't tried one myself.

Sorry, can't help you much beyond that. The only DP I know under $700 new that people talk about are the Casio Privia series, but I don't think they're known for super good sound quality, more for the action and a "passable" piano sound, nothing to write home about. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. Short answer though, if I were looking for a DP with good Piano and Strings I'd look at the Roland brand, I feel it's where they excel.

Thanks for the answers. Is there really not much for $700? I thought piano and strings would be relatively simple! Ha, I guess not.

'
Another thought, Nicholas - you didn't mention whether or not you have amplification?
If you don't then this would obviously limit the options available to you.

In general, better quality keyboards do not have built-in speakers,
so this is something to consider.

Yeah, I have a P.A. and some guitar amps I can practice through. Speakers aren't an issue.

I was researching and the Yamaha MM6 came up. Is that model any good? Also, I might be getting a used laptop, would a MIDI controller be a viable option? With the right software, of course.

Reaction score
Hi Nicholas, yes the budget you have is a bit limiting but considering your requirements
I reckon you could do worse than the MM6.
One of those (MM6) will cover the things you mentioned and could also double as a MIDI controller
if you get that laptop!
As for the 'brightness' of Yamaha pianos, well I wouldn't worry too much about that -
you could always adjust that to suit your needs - even at the most basic level you'll
have a 'tone' control on your amp!

Reaction score
Use the PA to practice instead of a guitar amp when you have the choice. Guitar amps intentionally color the sound in ways that work well with a guitar but not necessarily with other sounds, and don't have a good response across as broad a frequency range (intentionally; why do you need good bass response if you're playing a guitar?)

Ask a Question