M50

Reaction score
I don't know what your trying to ask, but I played an M50 and I must say its pretty amazing. It comes with a touchscreen, loads of drum patterns (almost 2,000), lots of different voices, and more.

If you have the money for it, its probably gonna give you some fun.

Reaction score
I was impressed with the M50's sound. There are people over at korgforums.com arguing whether the circuitry in the M3 is better than the M50, but I honestly doubt there will be any noticeable difference, at least not when played through house speakers with the rest of the band playing with you. I'm not wildly impressed with the keybed or construction, but as long as it's carefully looked after, it should be ok.

I'm actually going to be buying one in the near future. I was hoping to get an M3, but since my new keyboard purchase is coming entirely from the sale of my sax, and the local music store misquoted what my sax was worth and then caught their mistake, an M3's out of my price range.

Reaction score
I don't know what your trying to ask, but I played an M50 and I must say its pretty amazing. It comes with a touchscreen, loads of drum patterns (almost 2,000), lots of different voices, and more.

If you have the money for it, its probably gonna give you some fun.
I'm generally looking for what people who either own or are seriously considering buying the M50 have to say about it... what they liked best/least, what instruments they thought sounded best/worst, etc.

I am also curious which version people own/want: 61-, 73-, or 88-key. (Yes, I know the 73-key is not yet available.)

Reaction score
I was impressed with the M50's sound. There are people over at korgforums.com arguing whether the circuitry in the M3 is better than the M50, but I honestly doubt there will be any noticeable difference, at least not when played through house speakers with the rest of the band playing with you. I'm not wildly impressed with the keybed or construction, but as long as it's carefully looked after, it should be ok.
I found that thread. It definitely has, uhhh, spirited discussion at times! LOL I agree, from the little bit of comparing I did between the M3 and M50 at GC, I really didn't notice any difference. Granted, I was trying to hear each keyboard via monitors over the other commotion going on in the store! Perhaps I'd hear differences using a decent headset, but hard to say. I'm sure some people have ears so good they could find differences in two identical top-of-the-line models.

I'm actually going to be buying one in the near future. I was hoping to get an M3, but since my new keyboard purchase is coming entirely from the sale of my sax, and the local music store misquoted what my sax was worth and then caught their mistake, an M3's out of my price range.
I'd love an M3 myself, but it really is a lot more than I want to spend at this stage of the game. I have to keep asking what I'm really getting for that extra $800-900. It sure would come in handy when buying all the necessary accessories, like monitors, etc.! KARMA is a big feature, but I'd be fine running it on my laptop if I find out I need it. (There goes another $200! LOL)

Reaction score
I'd ideally want the 73-key version, but am settling for the 61-key. I'll be using it in addition to my Nord Stage, so it's not as essential to have as many keys on the M50, especially since the Stage is 73 keys and I'll be putting it on the bottom and using it as the main keyboard, with the M50 being used mainly when I need one hand on each keyboard (M50 as an organ manual, for example).

The Stage also has much better action than the M50; I feel comfortable playing jazz or classical piano on the Stage but not on the M50 (mind you, the Stage is no Steinway Grand, but it doesn't throw me off as much). Basically, since I don't have as much money to spend as I'd like, the 73-key version isn't out yet, and since the M50 won't be my primary keyboard (although I expect to use its sounds constantly, just that it will be controlled with the Stage), 61 keys doesn't bother me.

In general though, if you're a good enough keyboard player to use two hands at once and do reasonably complex stuff, 61 keys will probably feel limiting unless you have another keyboard to use as well.

Reaction score
I'm definitely not good enough for complex stuff (yet!), but I definitely feel cramped with 61 keys. (Hey, I'm used to 101+ keys on my computer! :p) I do wish the big keyboard didn't up the cost $700. :eek: It does seem a bit excessive, but no matter what the keyboard 88 "piano like" keys is gonna cost more than a few extra bucks.

Reaction score
Woo-hoo!

Woo-hoo! I just bought the very last factory-sealed M50-88 available among the four GCs in my metro area!... And I was able to get it at a rather nice discount. How cool is that!

But alas, I have yet to let my fingers enjoy the feel of my new baby's keys and my ears hears its sweet multitimbral polyphonic voices... It is waiting for me, miles away at the third closest GC from my house..... [cue cricket violins]

Much as I really need it, I don't think I'm going to get any sleep this weekend! :D

Reaction score
congrats on a great score, good luck with it. Is the difference between the 73 key and the 88 key because the 73 key doesn't have the black notes???? jk good find and thanks for your help in the forum, I as a new member are very happy to have someone who goes the extra mile to help others, so Thank You and enjoy the holidays

Reaction score
Woo-hoo! I just bought the very last factory-sealed M50-88 available among the four GCs in my metro area!... And I was able to get it at a rather nice discount. How cool is that!

But alas, I have yet to let my fingers enjoy the feel of my new baby's keys and my ears hears its sweet multitimbral polyphonic voices... It is waiting for me, miles away at the third closest GC from my house..... [cue cricket violins]

Much as I really need it, I don't think I'm going to get any sleep this weekend! :D

Congratulations!

The first (and yet only) time I tried the M50, I found a sound that I fell in love with instantly, I think it was called something like Orchestra + Harpsichords or something, right next to the "M50 Orchestra" sound. I really recommend you to give that one a shot, with a little bit of tweaking, I think you could get the ultimate one-man-orchestra out of it.

Reaction score
They have this vocal sound that I loved too, my friend owns an M50 and I used the vocal sound for one of our songs.

Its a good keyboard with great sounds, if you have the money for it XD. I heard its actually a cheap one, but its so exspensive for me.

Reaction score
Ah, yes, I found a vocal sound called Jazz Voices or something, it was really wonderfull :D

Reaction score
kanthos: Wouldn't you know, life would happen so I still haven't really had much of a chance to play it yet. Had to wait 'til Saturday afternoon to pick it up, Sunday night to set it up and try out all the keys, and now tonight to show it to my brother in-law. (They've been considering getting something for the kids to learn piano.)

Sargas: Oooh, I've got to try out that Orchestra + Harpsichord combo!

Riotblade & Sargas: I did find a couple "human voices," Ahs and Ohs. I'll be having fun with those too!

Riotblade: Well, I wouldn't call it cheap, nor inexpensive. ;) It's definitely a good buy for all the features it has, but I had to save many pennies before I could pounce on it. Not that an M3-88 or Yamaha Motif XS8 wouldn't have been a blast, but I won't be ready (skill, money) for something that high-powered for a loooong time.

Reaction score
I have to agree with you there. The voice voices would fit in the background, but not so much as a primary voice in a song.

Reaction score
What I'm really annoyed with is the lack of ribbon.

Could anyone suggest a good M50 compliant (?) or MIDI ribbon controller that I can hook up to the M50? Googling "midi ribbon" just gives me a load of horse manure.

Reaction score
Thank you, evergreenthompson.

I have another quandary, however... not so much a quandary as a lack of information - I'm looking for a very cheap (not exceeding $30) stand for the m50-73 (when it's available)... luckily the m50 is a light little number... I have found a sturdy-looking double braced metal one selling for $29.95 at zzounds, but I was just wondering if there's anything else I should take into consideration while buying a stand... my primary concerns are portability, stability and price... wobbly stands eat my brains out... and I don't care for the high-priced (albeit cool looking) column-style models...

Ask a Question