Midi buy confusion, help the beginner

Reaction score
I guess it all depends on whether or not you're used to playing a weighted hammer action piano style keyboard or not.

I use my Kurzwel PC3K8 as my master keyboard for recording and use the QX49 in the bedroom for practice and general inspiration when I'm watching TV or listening to music.

You might seriously find yourself in trouble if you ever end up owning a true digital piano man.

Gary ;)
Not likely at all.

Only would consider upgrading to a Korg PA4X and buying another like a Roland Juno 61.

The Midi is only really for my Grandson to use with the Apps on my iPad and Roland Katana mini amp and for me to take this kit to a friends if I cannot be bothered hauling the Korg around.

Remember for me keyboards are just for fun, guitar and bass are my first loves.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What about the extra octaves you're missing out on? Believe me it's a rush to go from Octave 0 to Octave 7 on an arpeggio run. :)

Personally I couldn't live without an 88 keyboard in my arsenal anymore.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Personally I always prefer hardware synths over software synths.

1) software synths can be buggy and crash a lot.

2) software synths have zero resale value.

3) a hardware synth can be used any time anywhere without having to sit thru a bootup and you're not chained to a computer.

4) if you have a great sound that you want to keep from a software synth you always have to worry if the next version of windows or iOS will support it or not.

In fact hardware synths are usually not OS dependent at all. You can hook up a hardware MIDI port to any OS you'd like, including Linux.

Gary ;)

I don't want to hijack this thread but, Gary, these are the sorts of things I was trying to wrap my head around in that other newbie thread I started. Basically, if I already have a DAW with plenty of instrument voices, etc, why do I need a keyboard that also generates them? etc. (Someone asked me, "Why don't you just get an 88-key midi controller?") I didn't know the language of "software synths" vs. "hardware synths"; that's helpful. I'd thought about #3 here but not the others.

Last edited:

Ask a Question