MIDI clock

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Please, you two, no more back-and-forth; let's all be civil.

The thing about MIDI is that there are actually two basic forms of MIDI-- live versus recorded. The vast majority of MIDI messages can occur in either form, although they aren't exactly the same in both, since live messages aren't preceded by delta timestamps the way recorded messages are. But some messages occur only in live MIDI and can't be recorded, and some occur only in recorded MIDI and can't be transmitted live.

I'm certainly no expert on MIDI, but my guess is that any live messages which aren't able to exist within a MIDI file will not be able to be recorded. If you want to learn about MIDI, I'd recommend checking the MIDI.org site, where you can sign up for free. Once you've signed up, you can access the official MIDI specifications; look for the "Standard MIDI Files Specification":

That might give you an idea about which MIDI messages can't be recorded, assuming that any messages not covered in those specs are unrecordable.

Reaction score
Please, you two, no more back-and-forth; let's all be civil.

The thing about MIDI is that there are actually two basic forms of MIDI-- live versus recorded. The vast majority of MIDI messages can occur in either form, although they aren't exactly the same in both, since live messages aren't preceded by delta timestamps the way recorded messages are. But some messages occur only in live MIDI and can't be recorded, and some occur only in recorded MIDI and can't be transmitted live.

I'm certainly no expert on MIDI, but my guess is that any live messages which aren't able to exist within a MIDI file will not be able to be recorded. If you want to learn about MIDI, I'd recommend checking the MIDI.org site, where you can sign up for free. Once you've signed up, you can access the official MIDI specifications; look for the "Standard MIDI Files Specification":

That might give you an idea about which MIDI messages can't be recorded, assuming that any messages not covered in those specs are unrecordable.
1. Thank you so much for your reply. I will follow your advice and hope get to know more about midi.
2. I'm new here, but on the other forums I never saw such aggressive idiot as this Gary. Not sure he is in good condition with his head.. A psychiatrist consultation will be useful!...
Kind Regards!
Nick.

Last edited:

Ask a Question