Midi issues

Reaction score
I own a Yamaha ypt 220 keyboard, I just recently got my USB MIDI interface chords. Whenever I plug my piano into Soundtrap on my Chromebook, it takes several presses on my piano to get one note to play then that note sustains. The other notes won't work until that note stops. The exact same issue appears on a mobile DAW I have titled Bandpass. Does anybody know how to fix this issue?

Reaction score
Chromebooks and many mobile phones are based on Andriod... and while it is true that Android is a weak platform for MIDI, it shoud not cause the symtpom you're talking about.

One possibility that has come up in similar discussions here in the past is that your Yamaha (like many old Yamahas) uses a MIDI function called "active sensing" with no option to turn it off, which means it is constantly sending data, which can essentially overload the inputs on other devices/software that are not equipped for it. See if Soundtrap or Bandpass offer any option to filter out active sensing. If they don't, see if you can find an app that does. Alternatively, if this is the problem, you can fix it via hardware. MIDI Solutions makes boxes that filter out active sensing (most of their devices do this , according to http://www.midisolutions.com/faqs.htm ). Other than that, dpending on what else you may have access to, you could try a keyboard other than the YPT-220, or suitable software on a non-Andoird platform (iOS, Mac, Windows).

Ask a Question