Montreal, My Old Hometown, 2 Days Ago...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
This is what happens when snow lands, melts, refreezes and then gets a light dusting of more snow on top :)

Montreal is an island built around an ancient extinct volcano so no matter where you're driving downtown, you're pretty much always driving on a hill.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
We've been having rainy weather for about a week down here in the SE USA-- and boy did we need it. But starting tomorrow night the temperature is supposed to drop below freezing for several days, and I'm not looking forward to icy roads. Down here in Dixieland, the average person hasn't got a clue about how to drive safely on icy roads-- or, for that matter, drive safely on any roads! ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Quebec has made it law that all vehicles on the road MUST have snow tires as of the first day of October or thereabouts.

Every vehicle in that clip had snow tires on it. Also they are usually pretty good about salting their roads but as you saw in the video, the very last vehicle in the pileup was a salt truck!!!

Generally speaking I try and avoid driving during or immediately after a storm if I don't have to. Here in Ontario the municipal governments tend to cheap out as much as possible when it comes to laying down salt on the roads.

When I lived in Montreal the salt trucks would be out on the roads the second the first flake of snow hit the ground.

Here in Mississauga these days they wait til the very last flake has hit the ground before the plows and salters even begin to roll.

My tax dollars at work :eek:

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, fun fact, as of a few years ago, (not sure about today) Montreal spends the most money annually of any city worldwide on snow removal.

About ten years ago it was $50 Million annually.

Nowadays I'd guess double that amount but then again budget cuts on infrastructure have been happening with deadening regularity over the past decade so they may be worse off today.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Frankly I don't care if the sun belt and the land down under cooks in its own grease. I just want a decent snowless winter for a change. :p

Gary ;)

John Garside

JohnG
Reaction score
The Blue Danube would go well with that, Becky.

It reminds me of a Christmas some years back, when I lived in Germany.
I picked my wife up from hospital in the afternoon of Christmas Eve.
It was raining, and the rain was turning to black ice as I drove home.:eek:
The rain turned to snow overnight.
By the morning there were several inches of snow over the ice.
Where we lived there was a very slight incline on the street leading to the main road.
Could I get the car up the road? No way.
I tried a higher gear and very gentle acceleration, but no, the wheels just spun.
I rang two different local taxi companies, but "Nein!" they said. "Ve vill not come out ven ze vezer iss zo terrible!" ;)
(Their spoken English was much better than my German!)
So we couldn't go to my wife's parents for Christmas. No Christmas goose for us that year.:(
Later on, after Christmas, the temperature dropped to -15 degrees C. (I'm guessing that's around 0 Fahrenheit, isn't it?)
Whatever, it was just a little cool. :eek:o_O

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Wow, funny watching it all happen in what seems like slow motion! Someone should set this to music - The Blue Danube for example.

Ba-baa-ba-ba-baaaa - Crash crash! Crash crash! :D

Becky sweetie. Read the comments section on the youtube page. You're not the first to make that suggestion :D

Gary ;)

Ask a Question