MX61 and external midi controller

Reaction score
Hey there, I have a Yamaha MX61 and an M-Audio keystation controller. Midi out from the M-Audio to the Midi in of the MX61.
I created a Performance preset on my MX - Part1 being a synth sound and Part2 being another synth sound, the 2 being layered to give me a nice big fat synth sound.
But when I play the M-Audio, the MX plays only Part1 of my Performance preset but not the Part2. How do I get it to play the whole preset, not just Part1?
Thanks!

Reaction score
If that didn't do it, then I think you'll need some other device. Ideally, you'd be using a controller that lets you transmit on MIDI channels 1 and 2 at the same time (when you want to), but I don't think the keystation can do that (though there are plenty that can). If you don't want to change to a different controller, you could connect the keystation and the MX to a computer (or iPad/iPhone) and use an app that will let you take the MIDI channel 1 output from the keystation, and send it to both MIDI channels 1 and 2 on your MX when you want it to. There are also various standalone MIDI routing devices you could get that could probably do it, albeit at additional expense.

Reaction score
So I guess on the MX I can't get Parts 1 and 2 to both respond on Midi Channel 1?

Reaction score
Right, parts 1-16 always respond to channels 1-16 respectively. BasicCh is, I believe, its "global" channel where it accepts Program Changes to change Performances, and I thought there was some chance it might also allow an external board to trigger just what the internal keys do, I figured that was worth a try... but I guess not (and I can understand where that could also be undesirable unless it could be defeated).

Reaction score
So I guess on the MX I can't get Parts 1 and 2 to both respond on Midi Channel 1?

Adding to my previous reply... that's how it works as supplied by Yamaha. However, using third-party software, you can set it so that different parts DO respond on the same channel, and you can save-and-recall Performances that are set up that way. Check out the John Melas tools, or you might be able to locate a copy of the apparently now defunct Vycro editor.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your time and suggestions. I will check out the tools you suggested and get back to you. :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Your best solution is to buy a controller that can do layers and splits.

I own one of these and it's capable of both.

Don't let the low price fool you. This is a controller that plays and feels and punches way above its weight class.

Read the manual for info on splits and layers. (Pages 13 & 14)

Built like a tank with weighted keys to boot! :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Your best solution is to buy a controller that can do layers and splits.

I own one of these and it's capable of both.

Don't let the low price fool you. This is a controller that plays and feels and punches way above its weight class.

Read the manual for info on splits and layers. (Pages 13 & 14)

Built like a tank with weighted keys to boot! :)

Gary ;)
Thanks, but I need at least 61 keys.

Ask a Question