My first keyboard

Reaction score
I've always wanted to learn how to play and I'm finally committing to get started. I don't know what features are available on the market, but I know that I want:

Light-up keys
Ability to connect to Mac OSX (10.4) and Garageband
Under $400 (the cheaper, the better)

I know that most keyboards with light-up keys have built-in songs, but is it possible to add other songs and have the keys light up correctly?

Suggestions and any information that I should know before deciding would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Reaction score
All right, I have read this post a few times.

Exactly, what do you want to accomplish?

Do you just want to record music you right and hand it out to friends, record music in hopes of a record deal, walk into stadium at half time with your light up keyboard and instill world peace, etc.

A couple of things for you to think about:

Learning a musical instrument takes time and dedication. I didn't get a six string bass to learn on - I got it after I knew I could play it!! My point is, pianos, synths or even accordians come in about 150,000+ designs, shapes and abilities but the basics come in only one way; that is, learning the music first. Most keyboard players start from piano and work their way into keyboards. Ironically, I see so many keyboard players that just can't get a good piano sound or FEEL. There are hammer weighted keyboards that feel more like a real piano and there are synths that have no fewer than 100 piano sounds.

Don't fret - theres more... :)

Having a keyboard with light up keys isn't going to do anything for you - not at first anyway. Take a look at this and watch the entire video - I think you will be surprised:

then check out and watch what he does on a tiny little keyboard:

Jordan Rudess is the exception, not the rule. He uses a huge selection of keyboards from Kurzweil, Korg, Yamaha, M-Audio, Roland, etc. What makes him good is the fact that he PLAYS!!! He plays jazz, metal, blues, even hip hop.

If you learn the boards first, the rest come easy. Also, other than custom designs by "do-it-yourselfers" - I haven't seen a board with light up keys. I'm not saying they aren't out there, I just haven't seen them and I have seen them in live applications. I can see the coolness of the idea but I have to wonder why they aren't too popular.

Okay, now for price. If you want to run software synths with a MIDI controller, no problem!! You can run garageband, cubase, HELL - ALL of it for under $400 :) Again, I haven't seen a MIDI controller that lights up (and, again, I'm not saying they aren't out there). Other than off the shelf store bought keyboards (walmart, sears, etc.) - you won't find a full fledged keyboard for under $400. The "off the shelf" general store brands aren't going to do much more than give you a practice pad and a little functionality.

This leads me to my final point. If you are really serious and really want to go somewhere with your music, understand that this is an investment. Like a car or a house, you have to be ready to pay and expand as you progress. My basic setup for general writing and experimentation at home is in the range of $25,000. That's me - not Joe or my neighbor. Some get away with 2 or 3 grand. You should at least make the instrument you plan on learning and playing your best purchase. I would much rather see someone spend $1,200 dollars for keyboard than see them spend $200 x 200 and not get any results. Most of the good keyboards these days run on average of 2 to 3 grand (not absolute, just generally).

As far as connecting to Mac or PC - That has nothing to do with the keyboard. Keyboards are too smart to pick sides - they let the software interpret the language for them!!

Lastly, ask as many questions as you want and ask the hardest ones you can. If you really are serious and want to "call all the shots", all of us are here to help you get results - all you need is patience, understanding and drive!!!

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information; I can see I've got a lot to consider.

I started taking lessons on the piano while I was in college and enjoyed it enough that I would like to continue practicing that I am in the "real world". Being a recent college grad, I have little money and little room to get a real piano. I started considering keyboards as a way to practice/learn on a budget. All that said, I know myself well enough to know that there is a fair chance that I might not stick with learning to play so I am hesitant to drop too much cash until I am confident it is something I will continue to do. As for the light-up keys, it seems to be a cool feature and I like the idea, but if it's not going to do me much good then I can get over it quickly. I imagine that I'll explore most of the straight forward features a little, but that probably won't amount to much.

And thanks for the Jordan Rudess videos, amazing!

Mike

Reaction score
Never give up your talent. If you learn, keep practicing. Eventually you will be the musician everyone is after.

If you want to get the full story on creating music, midi, the home studio, recording, how to hook things up, different setups, - EVERYTHING!! Go to:

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

At first this might scare you. Truth is, this guy has taken the time to explain everything. From simple set-ups to full on stage sets and recording studio sets. With $400 you can be dangerous!! I'm just urging you to think about what YOU really want. Good luck and, as I said, ask us your hardest questions as we like to help out. Nothing would be better than you coming back and posting on your greatest gig :)

Reaction score
Terr-or Form

Everything you said is non-disputable, but I am a salesman and as I was reading (listening) his posts, I think Mike was looking for some good basic beginner direction. And he does not have a budget that will allow him to get anywhere near some of the stuff you were mentioning. Being a guitar player, there are a ton of electric guitars under $300 that will allow anyone to play quite proficiently and they are great for beginners.

The lighted keyboards are Casio's I believe. Very beginner models. I am no expert, but there is quite a selection of keyboards for$500 under that would give Mike a lot of flexibility and provide a great deal of fun. So the big question is does he need a weighted keyboard? Is he more interested in Piano or Organ. Technically it doesn't really matter, but you can do some fun stuff with very basic chords with an organ. Anyway, I am going to step off here, because I am also a newbie again and there are some very knowledgeable (Terr-or Form for sure) people that can guide you. And if you like Yamaha's (Ha!), you will receive some very good direction. BTW - Yamaha does make some good quality stuff.

Reaction score
Terr-or Form

Everything you said is non-disputable, but I am a salesman and as I was reading (listening) his posts, I think Mike was looking for some good basic beginner direction. And he does not have a budget that will allow him to get anywhere near some of the stuff you were mentioning. Being a guitar player, there are a ton of electric guitars under $300 that will allow anyone to play quite proficiently and they are great for beginners.

The lighted keyboards are Casio's I believe. Very beginner models. I am no expert, but there is quite a selection of keyboards for$500 under that would give Mike a lot of flexibility and provide a great deal of fun. So the big question is does he need a weighted keyboard? Is he more interested in Piano or Organ. Technically it doesn't really matter, but you can do some fun stuff with very basic chords with an organ. Anyway, I am going to step off here, because I am also a newbie again and there are some very knowledgeable (Terr-or Form for sure) people that can guide you. And if you like Yamaha's (Ha!), you will receive some very good direction. BTW - Yamaha does make some good quality stuff.

This is good info Mark W. If you know of a way to help this guy out then your opinions and professional advice is certainly warranted. My problem is, I get very passionate about music and I get almost emotionally involved in peoples plight to pursue music. I know that sometimes I throw out a wall of info that may seem dark and forboding but, I truly believe I'm helping out with the "end result" - and that is becoming the musician that we show interest in.

I would never take a correction to my posts or even a complete rundown of any errors that I post hurtfully. I learned a lot from various forums and the most important thing I learned is - none of us are know it alls. I actually welcome the learning I receive from others pointing out any mistakes I've made. That's the purpose of these forums - learning.

Seriously, if you know something that I or anyone else doesn't - speak up!! If someone attacks you for your knowledge or your willingness to help, chances are, they either need some more learning or they are just too immature to matter anyway :)

Ask a Question