Need a sheet music app that actually works

Reaction score
I need an app for writing piano sheet music for my piano students. I can’t believe this, but I’ve been thru seven different apps already and not a single one of them will do the piano grand staff! That’s treble on top, bass on bottom. That’s the way over 99% of piano music has been written for centuries, but not a single app has an option to write it this way!

Offenders include: iWriteMusicFree, stage n tabs, piano plus sheet music, Flat (which seems to be a total scam to get your Facebook info), and Notation Pad. (Pia score is for reading only, not writing)

Score Creator is the only one so far that can do a grand staff. How is it possible that this many apps can’t do the single most basic sheet music format? I feel like I’ve entered some alternate Bizarro world. If I sound upset, it’s because I’m extremely upset and rightfully so. This is like going to eight different hardware stores but none of the people at any of them have ever heard of hammers or screwdrivers- that’s how insane this is to me! How can music notation software NOT have the piano grand staff?

I’m trying to write supplemental pieces for my students, but my handwriting is terrible. What I need besides treble and bass is a way to adjust the size and spacing of notes to make it legible. This is a problem with many piano method books- their layout is busy and confusing, and the notes are usually too small for younger students to focus on.

So please if anyone can recommend a decent app, please let me know which one. Score Creator does the grand staff, but so far there seems to be no way to change the size or spacing of notes for clarity.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
There are several notation programs that can do grand staff scores, but you're saying "app" so I guess you're using a tablet or smart phone?

What type of device are you using, and what operating system does it use?

On a Windows computer, one notation program that I happen to like for its ease of use is NCH Crescendo. You can use a grand staff in it.

Another program is Forte Notation.

Another program is MuseScore.

And there are a number of "big name" commercial notation programs that cost a pretty penny if you need all of the bells and whistles that they include.

But if you're talking about notation apps on mobile devices, we'll need to know what operating system it uses so we can give pertinent suggestions.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Some possibilities include:

Touch Notation
Sheet Music Scanner
Komp Create
GUIDO Creator
All Sheet Music

I have no experience with any of those.

Reaction score
I'm using Notion and it does grand staff but I haven't used it much for that yet. I have been using it for lead sheets for Fake Book style charts for students. I teach piano and guitar. It works fine for that.

I just tried it with the grand staff to put some basic notation in and it works. Probably best to demo it if you can. I'm using it with an 2018 iPad Pro and the Apple pencil.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Just my $0.02 worth but even though I haven't used it, Sibelius is what the pros use.

Pricey as hell though.

EDIT >>> Just checked. Price has come way down since I last checked it.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question