Newbie and need some advice pls...

Reaction score
So i'm totally new at this and i enjoy to DJ, but lately I've been wanting to go in depths as to wanting to create my own music. I love to spin EDM music (house, electro house, techno house, etc) and I'd like to purchase some hardware. I know there are two types of hardware such as Synthesizer and Midi Controller. As a beginner i was browsing the net for something I could be happy with, however, there is a vast majority of options out there and i'm no expert at this so I figured i'd ask first. What can you guys recommend to point me in the right direction. While browsing, the first controller that popped up was the "Akai Professional MPK mini MKII" and I noticed it had a lot of good reviews, but when i went on youtube to check out its reviews, somebody said that the sound quality wasn't that great and that the software was difficult to install too. It also looks like a toy that could probably break easily which i'm not too convinced about. I want something decent that's gonna be good for me, but not too expensive or too bulki. Something between the $500 range since i'm just a beginner and perhaps i could possibly go up to $1000. So please help me choose the perfect hardware for me. Thank you guys!

Forgot to mention. Also, what is the best brand for either Synth or Midi Controller. I don't know if AKAI is good or if there is a better one.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
With a MIDI controller you are tied to either an ipad or a computer to generate your sounds. I'd recommend starting out with a small synth with micro keys if you are using it in a DJ EDM environment.

What I'd recommend for you that's not too complicated and checks all the boxes for EDM is a Roland JDXi. You can find them used around $400 which won't break the bank and it has everything you need to program a rave. It has analog voices, PCM voices, drum tracks and a built in step sequencer. Seriously this thing was built for DJs transitioning to keys.

As a beginner its limitations won't be much of a problem for you should be able to squeeze some kickass beats and tunes out of it.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
With a MIDI controller you are tied to either an ipad or a computer to generate your sounds. I'd recommend starting out with a small synth with micro keys if you are using it in a DJ EDM environment.

What I'd recommend for you that's not too complicated and checks all the boxes for EDM is a Roland JDXi. You can find them used around $400 which won't break the bank and it has everything you need to program a rave. It has analog voices, PCM voices, drum tracks and a built in step sequencer. Seriously this thing was built for DJs transitioning to keys.

As a beginner its limitations won't be much of a problem for you should be able to squeeze some kickass beats and tunes out of it.

Gary ;)

Thank you so much! This is perfect. I love it! It's just what I need. I'll be getting this one!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Akai makes good, solid gear.

The one you mentioned is just a controller, so I don't know what the reviewer was talking about when they criticized the sound quality, unless they were talking about the sound quality of the plugin software they were using with it and that can depend on a number of different factors, not the least of which are the quality of their computer's sound card and speakers-- assuming they were using their computer's built-in sound card and speakers rather than an external sound card and speakers.

In fact, if they were using a laptop then the plugin software probably sounded like crap on it, because most laptops are notorious for having lousy sound cards and speakers; and even if the laptop's sound card was okay it would have still sounded bad through the laptop's tiny speakers.

I sometimes see online reviews from people who bought a MIDI controller where they mention that the sound quality of the controller was not good, and I discount those reviews right away because it's obvious that the reviewer does not know what they are talking about.

And even if they were talking about the sound quality of the plugin software that was bundled with the controller, there are a lot of plugins available, ranging in price from free to hundreds of dollars, so criticizing a controller due to the software that was bundled with it doesn't really make sense.

Reaction score
I am thinking that you want to create music in a studio or home environment and not whilst performing as a DJ, if so then personally I would suggest you undertake further research and advise us more on what and where you want to create.

A unit with mini keys like the Akai, Roland or Korg really do have small keys so something with such keys may not be the best one for you to start with.

A MIDI controller is basically a keyboard with a keybed, knobs, sliders, pads and perhaps a screen of some sort.

On its own it is dumb, it does nothing, it needs to be connected to a computer or tablet and the MIDI controller then interacts with the music creation apps.

A synth has everything onboard with the exception of an amp and speakers but not all synths have inbuilt recording functions and they require connection to a computer for decent quality recording

Akai, Roland, Behringer, Korg and many others all produce good quality kit but like all manufacturers some kit in their ranges are better than the competitors and some are worst.

Do you have an iPad!

If you do then you have free music creation software in Garage Band and others like Music Studio plus its expansion pack are available for about $30? Both these will get you started in music creation whilst you undertake further research.

I suggest that you take your time to research and not rush into buying any unit at present.

There are masses of reviews and tutorials out there.

Reaction score
To see some synths that are available for under $1000 watch the video

Put a synth and a workstation together and you get keyboards like the Korg Kross 2 which has good inbuilt recording functions, by comparison the Roland Juno DS has similar performance but not as good a recording.

A MIDI keyboard controller like the Arturia can also help via connecting it to a computer or tablet as explained in a previous post.

Whatever you decide do be prepared for a steep learning curve and if you do decide to learn to play a keyboard then the curve gets steerer and much longer but it is highly recommended and very worthwhile.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yes, the choice between standalone hardware instruments or controller with software instruments is complex and not easily decided. There are many good arguments for and against each route, regardless of whether one plans to work exclusively in a studio or perform in a live environment.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Seriously guys, the OP is/was a DJ heavy into EDM who wants to dip his toes in the synth market and you're scaring the bejeezus out of him with workstations, arrangers and other heavy duty high priced gear that he neither wants nor asked for and probably can't afford.

I owned a JDXi once and only sold it off because it lacked the MIDI flexibility that my studio demands.

But for a live gig with EDM and tapping out a few tunes the JDXi is perfect for his needs. In that venue the JDXi can hold its own with the big boys. It's an Analog synth, PCM Synth and Step Sequencer and Drum Machine all rolled into one inexpensive, compact package.

Unless he wants to perform with a truckload of gear and spend 5 hours setting up he really doesn't need much more.

Stop scaring the newbies guys :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Gary

Not so, you seem to presume that the Op is performing live in a gig environment and not at home for their own enjoyment, nothing in their post gives me direction one way or the other.

The Op also has stated that they are a beginner, who seems unsure of what they want.

To say they should buy XYZ and not to try to offer them some clarity and direction is something I cannot do.

More guidance from the Op is required.

Reaction score
Although a little too expensive, what do you guys think of this one...
"Akai Professional Force Standalone Sampler / Sequencer"

The only problem i forgot to mention with this one is it does not have a keyboard like the Roland JD XI which i really liked. I may end up getting that Roland.

Also, can my other post please be deleted. I made a second one because I thought my first post had been deleted. My apologies. Thank you to everyone.

Last edited:
Reaction score
To me the question is what do you really want to do write and create music (big learning curve) or use beats, samples, and trigger them live for shows. You come to a keyboard forum your going to mainly get keyboard focused answers. Now there is a 3rd world of creating your own beats and sample then triggering them to improvise music live.

There are a couple Youtubers you might want to check out Jade Wii whose early videos are all about DAWless music creation (no computer) and these days she starting to go back to her keyboard roots so check her early video.

Then another Sarah2ill who is all about samples, making beats. then using a Roland 404 to pull up and trigger combine the samples and beats for live shows. She her newer stuff she's moving into better gear but still working basically the same way.

Jade Wii link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqjAXHR5DHTCahIHpg7vspg
Sarah2ill link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp57MJpe_BxdrbHNR3Q8HMA

A new synth that is basic to learn on check out the Arturia MicroFreak link:

Reaction score
To me the question is what do you really want to do write and create music (big learning curve) or use beats, samples, and trigger them live for shows.

What i'd like to do is take an original song for example and create a dance/house remix version of it. I'd also like to create my own tunes and not just create samples to throw them into a live session although since you mention that, it's not a bad idea. Thanks! :D

Ask a Question