Need an opinion

Reaction score
Hi, everybody.

My name´s Joao and I just introduced my self at "Introduction".

Here´s my situation:

- 2 years ago I bought a Roland RD-700SX. I think that the keyboard is really great, but, honestely, I keep thinking that I did a mistake, since I should have bought a workstation at that time. My keyboard is great to playing live but not to good to creating music, sound editing, etc.

So, I kept thinking: "Damn, I should have bought the Fantom X8!". Then, it came the OASYS and I instantely became completely "in loved" with it. But I thought: "€7000?!!!!" (about $10400) These guys are crazy. So, next it came de Fantom G8 and I said "Wow!!!".

However, at this moment I have the chance to buy an OASYS88, version 1.2 for about €2000 (about $3000), a Fantom G8 for €2200 (about $3300) or a Motif SX8 for €2000 (about $3000).

In conclusion: - I´m thinking about selling my RD-700SX and buying one of those three keyboards (Oasys, FantomG8 or Motif SX8). Let me tell something that is VERY important: - I have zero experience of working in studio with keyboards and NEVER had/worked a workstation...

My preference goes to the OASYS, but I really would like you to give my an opinion. So, in my situation, what do you think I should buy?

Thank you!

Joao

Reaction score
I have the chance to buy an OASYS88, version 1.2 for about €2000 (about $3000), a Fantom G8 for €2200 (about $3300) or a Motif SX8 for €2000 (about $3000).

I have zero experience of working in studio with keyboards and NEVER had/worked a workstation

Joao, I would say 2 things here.

Firstly - 2000euro sounds suspiciously cheap for an OASYS.

Second - The OASYS is the most in-depth (ie: complicated) keyboard on the planet (as well as being the best),

so if you've never used a workstation before it will probably take you months & months

before you can even start to think about getting used to it.

Reaction score
Hi, guys!

Thank you for your threads.

Yes, jpscoey, I thought about that. The keyboard is used, however, and I would have to see it before (with a friend of mine that is a professional keyboardist). I saw some reviews from the Fantom G8 and some are a bit disappointing.

So, what is your opinion? Fantom? Motif?

Thanks.

Joao

Reaction score
Yes, jpscoey, I thought about that. The keyboard is used, however, and I would have to see it before (with a friend of mine that is a professional keyboardist). I saw some reviews from the Fantom G8 and some are a bit disappointing.

Joao, I have owned both Fantom & Motif (still got the Motif).

Out of the two, I MUCH prefer the Motif - that's why I got rid of the Fantom!

That's just my opinion, tho' - it's up to you. See if you can try out both, then decide.

Good luck with your decicion.

John.

Ask a Question