Need help with MIDI

Reaction score
So I just decided to buy a MIDI to USB cable and tried recording, but the sounds from my keyboard (KORG Kross 88-key) don't match. I read something about an audio interface, but I'm not sure of it's functions. I use Sony Acid Music Studio and when I play the notes are there, but not the sound I want. There's also a 0.5 second delay when I play into the computer. Any fixes, tips, or info that will help me out. I'm new to all of this.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you want to hear and record the sounds that your keyboard is making, then you need to send its audio to the DAW. If you're recording the MIDI data that it's sending, you won't hear the same sounds as on your keyboard unless you play the MIDI back to your keyboard. So if you want, you can even send the MIDI from keyboard to DAW for writing and editing a song, then play the song (MIDI data) back to the keyboard and send the keyboard's audio to the DAW for recording.

As for latency, if you're on Windows and don't have an ASIO-equipped soundcard, you can install the free ASIO4ALL-- it will do wonders for reducing the latency. :)

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Really helpful. The midi wire isn't sending anything back to my keyboard. Not sure if it's faulty, but I decided to try connecting my keyboard to an audio interface via 1/4" cable into usb. Would this give me the sound I want directly, or do I still need non-usb midi cables? I ordered a behringer um2 audio interface. Just need some recommendations for a beginner setup now.
Edit: audio interface hasn't come yet.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sample-Studio.jpg
Here's a sample hookup for a generic MIDI / Computer configuration I did for someone else.

Instead of the mixer you could just as easily use an audio interface.

BTW, with the Korg Kross you don't need a USB MIDI interface. All you need is a USB AB Printer Cable.

Gary ;)

EDIT >>> And the Korg Kross doesn't really need a USB driver for the PC as it is USB MIDI Class Compliant... BUT... In case you run into any troubles they do ship a proprietary Korg MIDI Driver with the keyboard on disk or available for download from Korg's website.

Last edited:

Ask a Question