Need help!

Reaction score
hey guys!
i currently play quite alot of music...drums ... guitar... singing..
and i was wanting to add in some cool sounds when recording stuff..
and i love synthy sounds..all that stuff...you know like in "somebody told me by the killers" just after the chorus but before the verse theres a wee phrase played...well stuff like that

i was wondering if you could help me...
i love the look of these midi keyboard/controllers...to be frank they look like exactly what i want...
25keys...pitch bending...and several knobs you can turn when playing to change sounds and effects..
the only thing is i want it more for live playing rather than via computer..
can midi controllers be played live provided they are play through a speaker?

like do they have preset effects on them?

i really have no clue...i have like £100..

got anything for me?

korg kaosillator looks great too but it would be hard getting the exact notes...

thanks guys..

Reaction score
I don't use your currency, I'm from America.

But if your looking just to make sounds for recording certain songs and what not, I advise you to look into the Mini-Moog, or any Moog in general.

I love their sounds and they are so fun to play with.

Reaction score
A Moog would be exactly what you want, if they were 10 times cheaper! (btw, £1~$1.6)

There aren't many standalone synths of that size that I am aware of, most are controllers you need a computer for, but it is certainly possible to use a laptop in a live setup, if you are willing to risk the technological gremlins. The other trouble with this setup on your budget is finding synth software...

My suggestion would be a Carillion Control 25 or M-Audio Axiom 25 if you want to spend some more, linked to a laptop. I'm not very good on soft-synths, but Arturia's Minimoog V is great fun, but not very good for live use.

The Kaossilator looks great - I'll have to see if I can try one out!

Reaction score
moogs are really expensive! lol
at the minute im between a microkorg or a kaossilator...the microkorg is more but you can hit the right note and better sound etc...
but i cant really play the piano...but im musical and pick things up quick..

so im not sure..

any advice?

its just i have a fair bit of money and i love making music..and i want to build up an inventory of music equipment lol
so far...drums and guitar...but i play them to band standard (3 bands) im also in 2 choirs :D

Reaction score
I think the Microkorg would be more suited to your needs - the Koassilator is aimed at more abstract electronica stuff and the Microkorg has a much more powerful synthesizer for the synth leads you want.

Reaction score
im looking into the alesis micron too....it seems better that the microkorg to me...less going on...more simple...bigger keys...more input and outputs...

the alesis has 1/4 inputs...which is basically a guitar lead...does this mean i can plug my guitar into it..and get those sort of effects?...like use it as a guitar effect pedal?

novation xiosynth
korg micro korg
alesis micron

Reaction score
the alesis has 1/4 inputs...which is basically a guitar lead...does this mean i can plug my guitar into it..and get those sort of effects?...like use it as a guitar effect pedal?

1/4" inputs are a standard audio interface, and are often used for a variety of things, some of which are not supposed to be plugged into each other...

(Sorry, I do a fair bit of live sound rigging and engineering where it's my job to be grumpy when the wrong thing gets plugged in!)

In this case I have to say I don't know. I'm not well acquainted with Alesis' range of synths. It may just be an audio through line, but you'd have to check with someone who knows about it. You can probably find a manual for it online somewhere to tell you more.

Reaction score
the novation xiosynth has an input made for guitars...
im intrigued...

i thiink the microkorg is out the window...
it just seems too complicated and awkward..small keys etc

the alesis micron looks a beaut as does the novation

do you know anything about them?

ive researched them..but i dont know whats better as i dont know anything..i just listen to them on youtube and see what people say about them in reviews etc

they both seem good..

Ask a Question