Need Keyboard...suggestions?

Reaction score
Well, I originally started this thread in the General Discussions Forum, but no one has replied. Perhaps it's because it was in the wrong forum, so I'll resubmit it to this forum. (Plus, I just submitted it recently, so it may take some time...).

Okay, at the risk of sounding redundant....I'm in the market for a new keyboard and would appreciate any suggestions.

I have a $2000 (USD) budget.

Here's what I'm looking for:

Portability. I have to be able to put it in a case and sling in over my shoulder.

Solid build. It needs to endure lots of moving around.

76 or 88 weighted keys. (I know, portability and weighted keys together are a tough combination to find).

Built-in speakers. I prefer to only have to carry around the keyboard, without having to also haul speakers. However, I would welcome any discussion on this...

Lots of on-board editing capabilities for recording music without requiring a separate computer. If you go to the section where members can post their music, you'll see the type of music I record and compose. Here are editing capabilities I would like:

1) I need to be able to "Punch-in" anywhere in the music without having to play the music from the beginning. For example, let's say my piece is 100 measures long, and I want to edit bar 75. On my Casio, I can't just go straight to bar 74 or 75, I always have to start from the beginning (bar 1) and wait until the music plays to bar 75, and then edit. This is crazy.

2) I also need to be able to be able to change various tempos within the piece, and save it. On any keyboard, you can increase or decrease the tempo for an entire piece. What I would like is to have a programmed tempo increase and/or decrease within specific sections of a piece (some sections allegro, other sections rubato, some places ralentando, etc).

Of course, I would like the other things as well:

1) Realistic instrument sounds (orchestral strings, brass, woodwind, percussion, grand piano, etc). I really don't need helicopter sounds, gunshots, or telephone rings.

2) Layering capabilities for multiple tracks.

3) Ability to save compositions in transferable media (SD, USB Flash drive, etc).

4) MIDI interfaceable. I think this is pretty standard now.

As you can see, I would like to do as much music writing/editing without having to use a computer. I would use the computer simply for the transcribing.

Also, I don't need any funky sounds or drum beat rhythms, as most of my music will be piano only or orchestra arrangements. If the keyboard comes with these features, that's okay. I just don't need it to "specialize" in these areas. I do need the full range of orchestra instruments, both solo and sections (ie. violin solo, as well as string section. Trumpet solo as well as brass, etc).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure why I'm not getting any answers. Perhaps my posts aren't readable?

Anyway, I think I've narrowed the choices to the 1) Kurzweiler SP3X, 2) Roland Fantom G7 or G8, and the 3) Korg M3.

However, this is simply a result of my own preliminary research. I would really appreciate any additional input anyone can give.

One additional thing I would like is the ability to control the tempo during playback, not just the BPM, but each actual beat. Is there a Tap Tempo function available for playback, where the music follows my beat as it's playing? A Tap Tempo function for playback on a foot pedal would be nice. I know Tap Tempo is available for recording.

Oh, btw...I'm looking for an instrument whose orchestra sounds are as close as possible to the live instrument. Do I need to go the software route for this (ie. Native Instrument, EastWest, etc)? Why should I spend $2000 on hardware, and then an additional $400 - $1100 for software to get me where I want? If software is all I need, then I should just stick to my Casio for inputs. What do you think?

Thanks for any input you can give.
Mark

Reaction score
I'll take a stab from my limited experience.

When I was keyboard hunting, from the sounds alone you really need to visit a story and have a listen. Each brand/model seems to do better with some kinds of sounds, and a lot of that is somewhat subjective. Also, you will likely find that some brands' controls feel more intuitive to you than others. Try locating the user manuals from the manufacturers' web site. You'll find a lot of answers to some of your more technical questions there.

If about $2000 is your budget, you'll most likely have to cross the Roland Fantom G7/8 off your list. The G6 is close to $2000, though.

I don't think you're going to find much for built-in speakers on any of the $2000-ish keyboards. You can pretty much count on needing to lug around some kind of amplified speaker system, so don't forget to factor that into your budget.

Reaction score
Evergreenthompson, thanks for the reply! I agree about visiting the store. I'll probably do that sometime next week (it's a couple hours away), and visit a few of the stores after I've verified their inventory over the phone.

As for the G8 being over my budget, I did find some places that still have the older X8 within my price range. This is close to the G8, right? I'll give that a look, also.

Thanks for the advice!
Mark

Reaction score
Glad to be of some help. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what the differences are between the X8 and the G8. Sorry.

Reaction score
Instead of buying one, you could win a Moog Slim Phatty. If you just become a fan of Astralwerks + Moog on facebook by 'liking' and enter the contest you could win. It's an amazing portable device and who knows… someday maybe you’ll be rocking the crowd like Astralwerks superstars The Chemical Brothers, David Guetta, Swedish House Mafia, Hot Chip, etc.

To enter and see more details just click on the link below.

http://www.facebook.com/astralwerks?sk=app_28134323652

INTRODUCING THE MOOG SLIM PHATTY: Looking for a big Moog sound in a small, portable package? It’s 100% analog signal path, intuitive user interface, rugged construction and rich MIDI, USB and Control Voltage functionality make it a must-have for producers, touring musicians and DJs.

Based on the powerful Little Phatty sound engine, earth-shaking basses, scorching leads and unlimited sonic creativity now fit in your back pack and your budget

Ask a Question