New keyboard for a learner.

Col

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I like trying to learn tunes I like from those old fx books and haven't played much at all. But the key board iv had a long time that's hardly been used has stopped working properly.
. Also reading and browsing it seems there's keyboards out there that can be problematic and fail in some way. So any ideas on keyboards about the £250 mark give or take would be great.
Thanks all.

Reaction score
For £250 in all honesty not much:-

Yamaha PSR E373

Casio CTX3000

Korg EK 50 but its a bit over budget by £50

Yamaha NP12 digital piano

Both Yamaha and Casio have various other models around £250

Good luck deciding

Col

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Biggles, but I'm thinking the choices at that price range don't impress you? If I were to increase the amount to £350 to £400 would this improve the choices much?
Also what might the lifespan of these entry level keyboards be before problems like keys not working ect may happen? As my current keyboard wasn't used much, although it was an old one and has made me think about how fragile they may be.

Reaction score
It really depends upon what you want to play and how.

An arranger will give you a one man band setup without additional equipment.

A digital piano is better if you want to learn to play piano, these have different key actions to the arrangers and hence they are more suited to piano based playing.

@£300 there are two prime arranger options a Yamaha PSR E463 and the Korg EK50. Both have 61 synth type keys and both should last many years if cared for correctly.

The way it is with arranger keyboards is that there are a lot of the beginner boards up to c£300 then quite a gap until you get to the Korg Pa700 and Yamaha PSR SX700 which are about £1000 and these cater for all abilities, even beginners.

In between there are the old Korg 300 & 600 models and a Yamaha SX600 which is a cut down version of their SX 700. There are also the digital pianos with arranger features as per those you may have seen suggested in other threads. Korg EX20, Yamaha DGX670 and Casio PC S3100 are the models, each have their plus and minus points but the DGX 670 probably should be at the top of anyones wish list in this market segment.

Caring for a keyboard, keep in a constant environment as dust free as possible, out of direct sunlight, play it only with freshly washed and dried hands, keep young children off the keyboard, the most important is to keep it covered when not being played by a keyboard cover that is specifically made for this use.

Keyboard covers are snug fit and the material used has a very high thread count resulting in a close weave or knit and is anti static in nature.

Additionally a good quality power conditioner/surge filter should be connected to the mains and your keyboard connected to this. Typically the extension leads you can buy from PC World. I have used Belkin products for many years, not just at home but at work where my role was often in charge of the whole electrical system and all the connected equipment.

Col

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help Biggles, I'v chosen to go with yamaha but it's a psr ew 310 at £317.Mainly because after all the advice off you and reading I'v done, it seems yamaha are one of the best for quality in this price range, and I can get it tomorrow. Otherwise work from Monday gets in the way. Again, many thanks Biggles.

Col

Reaction score
And a cover and surge protector are next on my list. Thanks again.

Col

Reaction score
Hi Biggles, Iv got that surge protector on order from Amazon arriving Tuesday, do you have any recommendations for a dust cover for my yamaha Psr ew310 please.

Col

Reaction score
Iv spent today familiarising myself with the buttons but can't for the life of me find how to access the instrument settings in the keys.
I can't even find how to in the manual, I'm thinking it's a simple process but can't see which button to press and access the keys hidden instruments.
Could you help? Many thanks.

Col

Reaction score
It was just to access the instruments that are accessed by pressing the key with impressions of an instrument above each key across the keyboard. I'm sure I'll find out how to eventually, but thank you for all your help Biggles, you have been a God send to a total Newby.
Iv ordered that dust cover too, again many thanks.

Col

Reaction score
Maybe contact the store that sold it to you or check the internet or YouTube?
Iv been browsing YouTube all afternoon, and everything else is there but what I'd like to know.
Time to read the instruction manual again to see if I'v missed something.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Press the VOICE button.
Scroll though the numbers Thru from 000 to 600+
There should be a numerical reference to each type of instruments. . . Check the manual.
Ray

Col

Reaction score
Press the VOICE button.
Scroll though the numbers Thru from 000 to 600+
There should be a numerical reference to each type of instruments. . . Check the manual.
Ray
Iv checked the manual and I'm still a little confused. My apologies for being slow on the uptake as
I'm a totally new user to these keyboards and what all the buttons and settings do, and doesn't seem obvious to me.
When the surge protector arrives today I'll have a go at pressing voice then a key on the keyboard to see if that works.

Col

Reaction score
Col,
I found your PSR e310 manual on line.
Page 16 will help you.
Page 68 will give you a list of voices.
R
Thanks Rayblewit, I'm going to have a session later today to try and familiarise myself some more with how things work.

Reaction score
Yamaha of all the keyboard manufacturers are probably the worst for the lack of quality of their manuals and that said manuals leave a lot to be desired in terms of answering the questions a user has.

Probably one of the reasons why this and the psr forums have so much traffic by users trying to figure out some feature or function.

For what it is worth Korg are not that far behind, but with Yamaha where they have a manual of 140 pages for the similar priced model by Korg their manual is over 1000 pages.

Good luck.

Col

Reaction score
Yamaha of all the keyboard manufacturers are probably the worst for the lack of quality of their manuals and that said manuals leave a lot to be desired in terms of answering the questions a user has.

Probably one of the reasons why this and the psr forums have so much traffic by users trying to figure out some feature or function.

For what it is worth Korg are not that far behind, but with Yamaha where they have a manual of 140 pages for the similar priced model by Korg their manual is over 1000 pages.

Good luck.
Thanks Biggles, I think I'm getting there as the manual, as you say, is a little cryptic. Possibly due to translation?
I found out if I scrolled to a certain number on the voice menu the keys each sounded as the instrument illustrated above them . But that brought the next puzzle of how do I use them individually or do I record them and use them as backing? I'll get there eventually.
Also I'm very pleased with your recommendation with this surge protector, its a solid quality thing, thank you.

Reaction score
Keyboard manuals in general tell you what a button is for but never states how to edit the part when you arrive there.
Manuals appear to be written by the T&D department instead of a user.

Reaction score
I bought the Korg EK 50 a few months ago,i must say i am happy with the sounds and quality for the money.

Ask a Question