New Keyboard Junkie

TCT

Reaction score
New to keyboards, but not to music theory. Have owned 7 keyboards in past 4 months. From Yamaha to Korg. High end and low end. I am now onto a Motif XF6. I have read every blog and forum that I can find and for a while was stuck between Motif and Kronos, I have now owned both. I have also heard pros and cons about both. What I have decided is to try and make a stand with the Motif, since I can't really find a lot of posts from anyone that it satisfied with what they have. It seems the technology is not there or the keyboard manufacturers just don't know what the general public wants. Comments welcome. TCT

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi TCT...

Welcome aboard...

Have you taken a look at any of Kurzweil's PC3 line? It may be what you are looking for.

Gary

Reaction score
You might want to take a look at the motifator.com forum, if you haven't already. Those folks live and die Motif gear.

Reaction score
"..they are not too gig friendly. They're massively heavy.."
I would respectfully disagree with this statement. It appears the model of Yamaha that you are using is a 61 key version. The PC3 61 key version is a mere 31pounds, the 76 key is 37 pounds and the 88 key is 54 pounds. Certainly not that heavy to gig with, in fact every version of the PC3 line is lighter than the equivalent key version of the Motif line. The Kurz also has QA mode allowing you to pre-bank your programs and setups so that your most used sounds are staring you in the face all night long. The keyboard is renowned as being one of the best MIDI controllers on the market. The internal sounds are also killer. Easily the best keyboard I have ever owned.

TCT

Reaction score
So it has moved to a Motif vs Kurzweil discussion. Which is fine, I just had never run across a Kurzweiler, or just never stopped to play one. Since I am new to the keyboard world, I seem to be going through those growing pains. I come from a Guitar world and have owned hundreds of Guitars because something different was always appealing and I was always looking for that better sound with effects, drum machines, loopers, etc... When jamming there always seemed to be something or someone missing. The drummer can't make today, the bass is out of town, whatever. When I moved to the keyboard world I figured I had found bliss. I could fill in any missing parts. The problem then seems to be I am searching for that elusive sound again, because I can't understand why no one makes a keyboard with the ease of a 100 casio and the sound of a Motif or Kurzweiler.

Reaction score
I've had a motif xf7 for over a year and love it. I've had ensoniqs back in the early 90's and went through Roland's, and other Yamahas. I now gig out with a Korg M50 and a Yamaha MX61. The XFsays in my studio. Not because of the weight. It's a powerhouse and for me eliminates the need for a DAW. Its editing, sequencing, sampling and mixing power does it all. I use a zoom r16 to record the XF and vocals but the XF has some serious insert effects for vocals as well if you want to use the A/D inputs.
I also rely on motifator heavily ...alot of expertise, but then again I sub to alot of forums where I find objective views from others as well (like this forum).

Hope. You like he XF.

Ask a Question