Reaction score
Not sure if you experts can put up with me but I asked for a Yamaha keyboard for Christmas and Santa brought me one. Its a YPT-310. I'm an old piano picker with very little practice over the last 30 years or so. I'm starting over and wanted to try this keyboard because it has good learning modes. What I'd really like are some suggestions as to whether there might be classes in Yamaha Keyboard (or some faxsimile) in the Baltimore Maryland area. All I have now is a user's manual.

Reaction score
I don't know about Yamaha specific lessons...but why not just get regular piano lessons? Can't go wrong there. Have the instructor tailor the lessons for what you want to play and go from there.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! Merry Christmas, and congratulations!

MagicHandsJenkins is right, you'll probably be better off finding a regular piano teacher. If your piano teacher isn't up on the keyboard-specific stuff (all the fancy goodies not found on a piano), try your local shop and see if they have anyone on staff familiar with assorted bells and whistles.

When I picked up my M50, one of the guys at the store told me he has an M3 and offered to walk me through some of the features on my keyboard. Unfortunately, just as I was ready for the show, the place got packed and I had to leave before he could get back to me. But now I know who to call if I get stuck!

Reaction score
I learned piano old school but you need to check out this guy, The Piano Guy....he is on PBS on Sundays and he has DVDs...I think he is the solution if you don't want to go thru all that scale and theory crap... and just want to play :)

Reaction score
The thing of it is, is that if you REALLY want to learn how to play you do have to learn all that scale and theory crap. ;) They're actually not that hard to learn.

Reaction score
If you want to be taught how to play specific songs, look for a guy like him. If you want to have the building blocks to figure out any song you like, scales and theory are *incredibly* important. Music is like anything else: you can only get so far if all you do is take shortcuts.

Ask a Question