Noob to Midi controllers - Choice of 2

Reaction score
Hi there folks...

I'm a total newbie to midi controllers and have a choice of grabbing one of 2 keyboards.

An Alesis vi 25 (2 octave)

or

A Korg microKontrol (3 octave)

Both are used but in great condition, both similar cost.

Hoping to use one of these for Ableton suite.
Any helpful pointers apprecaited.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
That's a tough question to answer, since it depends on personal preference. Personally, I think that having 3 octaves is better than having just 2 octaves. But I also think that having full-size keys is better than having mini keys. And the Alesis has actual pitch bend and modulation wheels, whereas the Korg does not. But I think there were different versions of the VI25, so I don't know whether the one that's available to you has 8 pads or 16 pads, etc. Personally, I like having more controls if possible. So these are some points you might want to weigh in your mind-- the number of octaves, the size of the keys, the presence or absence of pitch bend and modulation wheels, and the number and types of additional controls (pads, knobs, sliders, etc.). Only you can decide how important each of those things is to you. For instance, if you aren't a keyboardist per se then the size of the keys might not matter at all to you; but if you are a keyboardist then the size of the keys might be the deciding factor.

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the guidance... It's a 16 pad version of the alesis I've been looking at.

I guess a main thought I have is that the Korg is a good bit older in tech terms.... Just dont know whether that makes any odds. I like the look of the korg and the plasticy piece of crap keyboard I'm replacing is a 4 octave keyboard. As you mention though, I am not a keyboardist and am mainly looking at it as an input method rather than utilising live play possibilities.

Gut feeling is the korg. Might flip a coin tho.

Reaction score
Take my advice and get neither.

I had an Alesis, it was not good, brand new & very temperamental with sound level despite trying all the available keyboard profile presets, took it back.

The Korg on paper is great, but it has a small sized keys, OK if you have small fingers but with my spoons I hit three notes instead of one.

Reaction score
Grabbed the Korg. Should arrive in a few days. If my fingers are too big I'll stickem on a diet.

Relatively I'm a beginner so as long as it works it'll help me build some skills before spending on something more current.

Ask a Question