Noob with a Juno DS88

Reaction score
I just picked up a used Juno. I have had for awhile a kurzweil k2500 XS with kdfx. So my issue is this, I have never played a musical instrument and started taking piano lessons. The 2500 when set to a grand piano sounds like what I have my lesson on which is a real piano. The DS88 when using the same setting for a grand piano just doesn't sound like one. I have done a factory reset on the Juno and still no sound change. It appears to be working as when I change to keyboard/organ or other instrument bank it does change the sound. It just seems the piano sound is not clean. Any advice?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Which piano sound are you talking about? There are over a hundred in the unit. Pressing the Piano button gives you the default sound. Try spinning the jog wheel to try one of the other thousand sounds.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
There are a lot of Piano sounds in the unit. I am aware of that. It is just the sound of the first piano does not sound like a grand piano. So I don't know if there are some other effects are in play or it just doesn't sound like a clean piano. I just don't have any idea of how or were to turn everything off except the programmed sound.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all download and read the manual from Roland's website and pay attention to the FX and EQ sections. Some manufacturers tweak their sounds to death while others give a more vanilla base from which to adjust to your liking.

It's simply not realistic to expect every piano on every electronic keyboard to sound the same as each other.

If you can't find one among the hundred or so available and the expansion packs available for free download then try and create your own with the free editor software.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I will do that as it does seem to be an fx issue as I have noticed it on other instrument banks.
Thanks
Jim

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Good luck with your studies. Personally I own a DS88 and have no problem with the stock sounds. Then again my main focus is not piano and for some people ultimate piano sound is like a religious argument.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
If you can't find a piano sound in the DS that you're happy with, try loading one of the expansion pianos from their axial web site, either EXP-04 or EXP-09. (Remember, you can only load on such expansion pack at a time, so try them both, and then you can leave in the one you like better.)

Reaction score
Well talk about not knowing sh.t. It seems the Fender amp I am running through has an effects section and it appears that was a large part of the issue.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Chalk it up to yet another PEBKAC error. (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair) :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Ask a Question