Nord Electro 6D 73 vs. Hammond SK1 73

Reaction score
Hi! Please help me out with some pro and cons about that two keyboard. It is a bit difficult to choose. As i can hear from some review the organ section is a bit better with the hammond, but the piano and electric piano is better in the Nord. Price is same more or less. Nord looks a it more modern. When was the last update in this two keyboard? I am not a professional player, i play i guitar since 14 years. But now with this virus situation started to learn piano and i really enjoy. I spend 2-3 hour in every day and play more in my midi keyboard then with my guitar these days. So first i saw the Hammond and it was so good in the videos. But after i read and read and looks the Nord is his competitor. I also write musics (blues, pop and rap) and it will be a good update in sound quality. So i not only want to use the organ but the other stuff too. If my question are stupid sorry, just ignore that topic. But if you can help, i will thank you! :)

Reaction score
Welcome.

Quite a dilema.

At the price point there are quite a few options but I can relate to your indecision.

Nord is well Nord, I have played a couple (Electro 6 and a Stage) and loved them but well Hammond is the de facto standard organ that all are judged against imo that is.

The Nord is btw a mid 2018 model.

Reaction score
Hammond can split/layer two sounds (only one can be a non-organ sound); Nord can split/layer three sounds (only one can be something that is not a piano or organ sound). Hammond has more flexibility when it comes to where you can place the split point.

Both have libraries of sounds you can load into them, but Nord has a much bigger library and the keyboard can hold more sounds. You can also load your own custom samples into the Nord, but not the Hammond.

Hammond can also function as a 3-zone MIDI controller, Nord does not.

Nord has more effects controls.

In terms of the organ sounds, I think jazz players tend to prefer Hammond, rock players more often prefer the Nord, probably because it has the better overdrive.

Hammond lowest note is an F, Nord lowest note is an E, which can be an advantage if you're playing left hand bass.

Nord has seamless switching (held/decaying notes don't cut off when you switch to a new sound), I don't rememeber whether Hammond has that or not.

Nord is a newer model, SK1 came out in 2011, but is still current. Hammond is coming out with a new model, SK Pro, but at least so far, doesn't appear to be discontinuing the SK1, which sells for less than the SK Pro does.

I think the two reasons to prefer the SK1 is if you prefer Hammond's organ sound, or its better MIDI functions, while the Nord has the edge in non-organ sounds, effects, custom samples, and split/layer flexibility (for internal sounds).

Reaction score
Wow thank you the fast replies! Looks the Nord is the better choise if i dont only think about an organ.

Midi controller in hammond means i can add a weighted midi keyboard and send piano while i have the organ in the hammond? But i afraid the piano is still better in Nord.

Start from E is a good thing, i like to record bass from keyboard. And play also.

Reaction score
Midi controller in hammond means i can add a weighted midi keyboard and send piano while i have the organ in the hammond? But i afraid the piano is still better in Nord.
Both boards let you play piano from a weighted controller while playing organ from its own keys. The better MIDI controller functions of the Hammond are about playing external sounds, not about letting other keyboards play its own sounds (the difference between controlling something and being controlled by something).

Reaction score
Both boards let you play piano from a weighted controller while playing organ from its own keys. The better MIDI controller functions of the Hammond are about playing external sounds, not about letting other keyboards play its own sounds (the difference between controlling something and being controlled by something).
Thats clear now! Many thanks! Btw I also watched a video about Sk pro. Thats a beast i think. But the price is very high.
So i think i will choose the nord against the sk1. If the sk pro has the same price there is no question but thats it. As i can see Nord is better for recording and live playing, more nice sounds have and the organ still not bad. Looks Sk1 suits who really focus only the organ.

Reaction score
I have the Nord 5D a few years now and i am very happy with it , ihad in the past several Hammond keys ( XB1,XM1 and KX2) also very nice but when you play in a band you need some more "bite" in the sound and the Nord will do the job .
And the greatest plus for the Nord is the huge amount of free samples you can download and place them very easy on the unit .
That makes it unbeated by the other affordable stage hammonds or YC61 , software is so easy to handle and its al free !
The only missing feature on the Nord D5/6 is the missing pitch bend and modulation control ( dont react on external devices also)

Reaction score
There is something you need to be aware of. If you purchase a Hammond and you have to get it repaired you may be waiting for six months to one year to get it back. My local repair shop told me that this is very common with Hammond. In fact they don't sell Hammond anymore because of this. I have now been waiting for over 6 months form is k1 to

Reaction score
My repair guy says same.
My 1952 M3, took about 7 weeks, my Kurzweil was almost a month, he prefers Yamaha for service response.
I have no experience with Nord, but will soon purchase an Electro 6D73 or a Yamaha YC 73, still researching.

Ask a Question