Nord Wave or Lead?

Reaction score
I currently own a Nord Stage EX Compact, and would like to add nice fat analogue lead sounds and pads on a separate keyboard
The Nord Lead seems to do all that very nicely, but I'm also drawn to the versatility of the Wave's synth engine combined with samples.
Does anyone with experience of the Wave and Lead have a preference?

Reaction score
I don't own any of these keyboards but I have used them and played with them a few times and I have to say that the Nord Wave is amazing. Both of them have some cool sounds and features and I definitely think that you would be happy with either. But it is also a question of money, you get a lot for the price of the Lead but Wave is as I said, in my opinion one step above.

The best thing you can do is to try both of them out at a local musicstore if that is possible, otherwise good luck, both of them are a great deal. :)

Reaction score
I think Sound On Sound basically see the wave as the Nord Lead 4. It's the next evolution in the Lead series I believe. I had a Nord Lead 2 and wasn't massively impressed. I find Novations products are more usable, and the Access Virus has a more aggressive tone. Up to you though, but remember, there are other VA synths available, not just Clavia Nord.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.
I've looked at the Access Virus, but that's even more expensive than the Wave! But it's on my wishlist!
I'm in favour of Nord particularly, as they're great performance synths and don't use sub-menus.... I like knobs!
I'll keep looking with your suggestions in mind.
Thanks again.

Reaction score
Waldorf do a good range of wave table synths, the korg prophecy is awesome, the Mini Korg etc may also be worth a punt. Novation do plenty of VA stuff, I like the KS4 and Super Nova.
Even my digital Kurzweil K2000VP makes a damn good job of most analogue emulations. But it's very menu driven, not very hands on.

Ask a Question