NOT a keyboard player

Reaction score
I play the guitar in my band, but for about a third of the songs "fake" my way through the keyboard (organ. piano, strings, horns) parts. It sounds good, but nothing fancy. I purchased a Korg M3-88, which I love - Sounds are awesome and I love the real feel piano keys. I can tell when I play a piano part on the real feel keys versus a plastic / unweighted key - It just sounds better and feels better playing it.
That said, the M3 is large ( most of the venues we play are small space) and a bit heavy for one person to carry - Not that I can't, but it is a little tough. I may be looking to sell it and get something a bit smaller - Like a 73 or 76 key (don't want to go down to a 61 key) and definitely lighter.
Anybody have any suggestions? There is so much out there and available and although there are a ton of music stores around me, I am having a hard time finding something -
I should also say that the primary function is going to be backing tracks (standard midi) which supplies the bass and drums and me playing the live piano / organ / string parts.
Any suggestions would be welcomed-
Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There are light weight options for 88 keys these days.

Look at the Casio PX-5S, the Roland Juno DS88 and the Korg Kross 88.

The heaviest of the three is the Juno weighing in around 35 lbs.

None of these has a built in sequencer for backing tracks, but you can easily load those into an iPad or laptop sequencer for your performances.

Otherwise you are looking at stuff like the Nord Stage or Kurzweil Artis LE for weighted 73 keyboards and they are way pricier.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question