November gig

ash

Reaction score
Hi I've got a problem and i'd like your advice please? I play the keyboard sort of. The reason i say sort of is, I'm disabled and i have limited movement, i can only use my left arm not fully. I play the melodies of songs to midi files which i have on usb. Lately my music teacher who i don't see anymore told me on facebook to play chords or bass to karaoke audio tracks as they sound better. What i don't understand is, the track is playing all the parts, guitar bass, drum, and it plays the guitar solos or keyboard solos, if i play the chords along with the solo, im not really playing the keyboard, am i becase the track is playing what i'm playing, does that make sense?? I played last year whilst i was on holiday to midi files but i don't think the people were impressed, maybe they were but i got the feeling they weren't. i have a yamaha E453.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Think of a band as a machine and the rhythm section as one critical component of a complicated mechanism.

There's more to a song than just melody and lead and sometimes less is more.

Sure the frontman doing vocals gets the most recognition and applause but he couldn't raise a fart from a dead pig if he sang the entire set solo acapella.

The thing is to know your part, play it well and and know when it's time to shut up and let the rest of the band do its job.

Nobody can teach this. It takes intuition and nuance to pick up on when silence is appropriate and the same applies to every part.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Try to do something a bit different and listen to specific instruments like the bass.

Determine the chord progress of the music as a whole, then listen to the bass.

Try to then replicate the bass playing or until you are confident with that play along with it.

At its simplest for a bass line in one bar play the chord Root, then Third, then the Fifth below the Root and then the Fourth of the next Chord, then continue.

Reaction score
What i don't understand is, the track is playing all the parts, guitar bass, drum, and it plays the guitar solos or keyboard solos, if i play the chords along with the solo, im not really playing the keyboard, am i becase the track is playing what i'm playing, does that make sense??
Yes it does. Ash if you use the site karaoke version.com you can create custom backing tracks and remove the keyboard parts. You can then play along to the “rest of the band” adding your own parts. I do this for practicing at home.

I played last year whilst i was on holiday to midi files but i don't think the people were impressed, maybe they were but i got the feeling they weren't.
Frankly mate, if you’re not charging anyone for your time (I’m guessing this is your situation) the only person you need to “impress” is...yourself.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi Ash,
It seems you are in a temporary rut. You are feeling despondent about your handicap and this will reflect on your performance. It probably is not your playing but more likely your attitude.
Truth be known you have a talent to perform. This is something to enhance. Focus on this and give it your best shot. Focus on the positive and stop this self destruction.
I wish I had ability to perform. All I do is play tunes for myself. I feel that I have some talent but I have no self confidence and I freeze up and stuff up when ever someone listens to my tunes. "stage fright"
If you have natural abilities to perform . . Just do it. I envy you.
Ray

Reaction score
Maybe you can find backing tracks that are just the bass and drums, or maybe just the bass. Then you could still play the melody, chords, solo over the tops of that.

Oscar Peterson after his stroke lost use of his left hand but continued to play with his trio playing the heads of tunes and soloing.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Or he could pick up a DR-880 drum machine and play along with that. He could even program his own beats and basslines.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi Ash,
Regardless of my rant (above) I do ponder . . How the hell do you play treble with your left hand.
I offer no advice but sincerely hope the advice given above by others gives you some direction forward. Best wishes to you.
Ray

ash

Reaction score
How do i embellish chord sounds and how do i give my own twist to a backing track?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
How do i embellish chord sounds and how do i give my own twist to a backing track?

You could start by looking at these two threads.

Gary ;)

ash

Reaction score
Hi i have been playing the chords to a pink floyd song and i had fun. A few things i noticed which i'd like your help with please. Firstly, I noticed that on the keyboard it says Aux/ something but the volume must default to 50 as the track sounds quiet, i can turn the volume up from there, is it ok to alter the volume from Aux/ something i cant remember what it says. Also when i want to change voicing i save different voicing to the registration bank and then while the track is playing i hit a button and it changes to strings or something. As im using my left hand how do i change bank during a song, i have to press the bank button, select which number bank then to ok it press registration all in a few seconds before the chorus comes in, how do i do this in time please?

Reaction score
The Aux usually refers to an input from an audio player like an iPod, the volume is adjusted at the input device.

Registration voicings, given your movement limitations can I ask if you have any movement in your right hand or either feet such that you could operate a damper pedal (you could also have the pedal unit head operated since it is really only a non latching switch). What I am thinking is if you can, then a small damper pedal can be attached to the 453 and it set up to function, then when you play a chord press the pedal unit and hold it and the chord will be maintained when you lift your left hand off the keys and then using your left hand to make the registration changes. Then a fraction of a second before you press the keys for the next chord release the damper pedal.

Or

The E453 may have a setting in the menu where you press a chord, release the keys and the chord is maintained until the next chord is pressed or until the end of the bar. The manual will say if it is possible.

ash

Reaction score
There are four registration buttons that i can save differnt voices to, i thought that if i save say piano to registration 1 bank 1 and i save strings to registration 2 bank 2, then during the track i'd have piano for the verse then wen then chorus comes i'd press registration 2 to get the string voice. That way by pressing one button would be easier i think rather than scrolling though the bank during the track. what do you think?

Reaction score
That is what the buttons are for, so you can set them up as a single touch switch (often labeled as STS in reviews) to call up specific instrument registrations.

When you do come to upgrade to another keyboard you will find that changing instrument voicings (registrations) to be far easier, quicker and far more being available at a single button or screen push.

ash

Reaction score
So would i have to input new voicings after each track, so say ive got piano for registration 1 and strings for registration 2, for my next song i'd need different voicing.

Reaction score
I am not sure Ash, if the four registration buttons stay fixed or change with each style. The manual or a trial and error process will help clarify.

ash

Reaction score
Ok thanks for your advice i'll trial and error. There's a Queen song called You Don't Fool Me, which starts with a bass riff, there's a lot going on in the song but im not sure what to play, chords all the way through, or start with the bass riff and then switch to chords and then back to bass for the bridge section? I don't want my playing to be complicated.

ash

Reaction score
Can someone help me please? I've got the audio tracks that are on my phone playing through my keyboard and it sounds good. What i dont understand now is how to turn the piano/ string sound down, the audio track is quieter than what im playing. I have looked at the manual but i don't understand, it says under playing external device with built in speakers, then under Adjust volume balance between audio device and this instrument, I dont follow the instructions, i have adjusted master volume but that didn't do anything.

Ask a Question