OMG Cakewalk is so difficult

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Then it does work, but you are on your own then. My operating system doesn't support Roland's proprietary driver.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
You've got some set up! I don't even know what all of that stuff does. So far I only have one keyboard.
I suppose I'll learn down the road and expand. I'm still tinkering with Cakewalk. Seems like a good program and I can save money and not buy Logic. I stil can't figure out Garageband, so i have up on that.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
(Grin:)) That's my small setup. Visit the keyboard rig pics thread to see how insane some of us become in our love for keyboards. :D :D :D

Cakewalk is a workhorse. It's capable of everything from scoring a simple MID file to scoring a $100 Million Hollyweird film.

The skills you learn with this program will serve you well for decades to come. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Good choice with the Pre Sonus

I also have a pair but the smaller 4.5 which are also good, my buy was based on suggestions here.

You may at some stage like to consider a small Mixer.

I feed my keyboard, guitar/bass, electric uke and mike into my mixer as well as the line out from my Laptop. I play using headphones most of the time and it makes life far easier as they are permanently connected to the Mixer.

Reaction score
I just realized Gary has the Presonus E5. They must be full size. I ordered the 3.5 which is a bit smaller than yours.
I think these will be loud enough. I got the bluetooth version so i can keep it hooked up to the keyboard with the line outs but my Imac could take advantage of the bluetooth.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
...please elaborate? just installed it and ds8 will be here in a week

Elaborate on what? There's two options for installation. Basic and Advanced Users. The Advanced option has way more bells and whistles than the average user will want or need.

Reaction score
Elaborate on what? There's two options for installation. Basic and Advanced Users. The Advanced option has way more bells and whistles than the average user will want or need.

As a beginner I should reinstall with basic, right?

Reaction score
For this last Christmas, I purchased a Yamaha beginner keyboard (model PSR E463). The only effects that it supports are Chorus, EQ, and Reverb. It supports MIDI standards GM and XGlite and standard MIDI file (SMF) Format 0, 1 (Record).

It allows for a split keyboard, where different voices can be used. I'm used to playing SUSTAINED organ chords with my left hand, but there is no provision to directly accomplish this with the standard voices in the keyboard itself. Each voice has its own built-in ADSR envelope.

I'm new to DAWs and VSTs, but the keyboard can export audio voices in either .WAV or MIDI formats to an external device (e.g. computer).

My question is this. After I export a MIDI file (containing a voice that I want to modify), is there an affordable DAW which will allow me to modify the ADSR envelope? Would Cakewalk or Reaper allow me to do this?

At this time I just want to create a couple of modified voices where the sustain section of the envelope is set to "infinity," so the amplitude of the note is sustained fully until the key is released.

That would seemingly allow me to play sustained chords (with a modified voice) with my left hand.

I realize that you don't have this keyboard, but any general advice to my question and approach is much appreciated. TIA!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Cakewalk will enable you to alter voices and parameters in MIDI Edit Mode but you'd have to be aware of the specific MIDI Sysex commands for your particular keyboard and you'd have to have a proper INS file installed for your Yamaha.

What I'm saying is that it can be done, but it will take a buttload of configuration and knowledge to insert ADSR commands into the right points in the MIDI stream.

If you do your homework it's doable, but for a beginner it won't be easy.

Most DAWs will behave in similar fashion.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
It can't be done, even with a buttload of work. These Yamahas support only about 5 sysex commands, and ADSRs are not among them.

In general, I'd have been surprised if there were sysex commands for ADSR in any low-end board that did not already include ADSR functions in it (and probably, even if it did). Really, I'd be surprised if ADSR sysex functions existed in any instrument that had no ADSR functions built into its normal user interface or accessible through an editor. And if the functions are built-in or accessible through an editor, that would be the way to alter the sound. Far more sensible that embedding sound editing functions into a sequence! But the main point here is that, if no such capabilities are available in the board or an available editor, I think it would be unusual to find them in a board's sysex spec either, even if you were MIDI-savvy enough to make use of them.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually I have an ancient Roland Sound Canvas that responds to ADSR sliders out of the box so while I realize that YMMV the envelopes are in fact part of the MIDI Spec.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Actually I have an ancient Roland Sound Canvas that responds to ADSR sliders out of the box so while I realize that YMMV the envelopes are in fact part of the MIDI Spec.

Gary ;)
Thanks for that nudge! Yes, CC 72 is release, CC 73 is attack, if supported, no sysex required! If you wanted to edit the MIDI stream, you would not alter the attack of each note individually, you would alter the sound on a given channel and then all subsequent notes would have that attack. So conceptually, it's not as crazy as I thought. ;-)

Ask a Question