Organ Midi Module Question

Reaction score
I use two Korgs for live performing and I love them.
However sometimes the organ patches seem to be lacking in color or richness.
I love the Nord for its organ sounds, but I don't want to add a third keyboard and I don't want to give up either Korg.
So I am looking at modules and found this:
FerroFishB4000+ You can google that name and find out about it.,
I am wondering if anyone has used one and what your impression is of this unit.
Thanks, Lenster

Reaction score
Haven't used that.... BUT.... Do you remember (how old are you) The old Oberheim OB3 module? It was actually made by a company called Viscount. I have one of the Viscount modules.... (its an "improved" Oberheim...they call it the DB3)... Hard to come by on this side of "the pond"... A great little module, drawbars ... fairly good Leslie effect..... I used it until I bought my Hammond..... Its been setting for a couple years now... Look it up also.... if you can't find one (and your interested)... I'm not using mine.. and willing to part with it :)
Heres a link... (I have just the module, not the whole keyboard)... not sure if the link will post, but if not, just Google Viscount DB3
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov02/articles/viscountdb3.asp

Reaction score
You don't mention the Korg models but am assuming that they are not Kronos keyboards. Anything less than a Kronos will probably not yield a good organ result from a Korg synthesizers. The Ferrofish is probably a step up but in my view still not satisfying (but I'm a Hammond purist). It kinda depends on your budget from a module perspective. I use a Voce V5+ with a Neo Ventilator and also use a Hammond XM2/XMc2 also with a Neo Ventilator. Other choices might be a Nord Electro 2 rack, but you will need a drawbar controller as well as the new HOAX HX3, which sounds absolutely fabulous but also you'll need a drawbar unit which is just now coming out. Looking at about $1100 for the new Hoax and drawbar unit but guarantee you will have no issues with how it sounds. It depends on how good you want your hammond/leslie sound; the better you want the sound (as well as drawbar control) the more it is going to cost.

Hammond XM2/XMc2 (has a built in leslie, not the greatest but passable) (discontinued but still expensive, probably $1K)
Voce V5+ w/ a Ventilator (Voce is a hammond only unit, no leslie) (around $750).
Ferrofish B4000+ (step up from where you are, not satisfying enough (for me)) $400.
Nord Electro 2 rack (dated, but certainly still usable) Hard to find, probably $850 is a good price
HOAX HX3 (The distributor is Diversi and in Morton, Pa, not too far from you) will need a drawbar controller to go with it. $1100 for both
VST plug in's (VB3). sounds fantastic. Under $100. Will need to run from a laptop computer/IPAD.

Also, putting this in google "ferrofish youtube" will bring up several B4000+ videos. If you think that these sound good enough to you, then I think you have your answer. The issue is that the B4000+ is not very popular, if you didn't like it you might get stuck with it unless you were drop the price to a point where someone would buy it. I'm with you though, I didn't want another keyboard for hammond, which is why I went the organ module route.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey Dave... have you ever tried the Oberheim (Viscount)....??? They never really made big inroads over here and I really couldn't see why (priced right, small, drawbars, built in leslie, and sounded pretty decent I thought. I to am a "Hammond" purist.... went every way I could to keep from buying one; expensive, made by Suzuki... (don't they burn oil???) But, after a Korg CX3 (I liked it but too big & heavy) and the Viscount, I finally had to break down & get the SK.... (which surprisingly also has the best sounding Sax of any of my boards... go figure)... I know a lot of guys run them through the vent..... really sounds great, but they sure are proud of that vent......

Reaction score
I actually tried the DB3 single manual organ. I ordered it from a company in Chicago (Ahlborn-Galanti) about 10 years ago for $995 delivered. I negotiated a 30 day return window (which I ended up returning it). I thought the raw organ tone was pretty authentic but found the Chorus on the C/V lacking and the leslie sim not too good. At the time I was using a Motion Sound Pro3T and LowPro which solved the leslie issue but the Chorus was just not right on it (to me). The other issue with it was that you could split the keyboard but I believe the lower manual registrations were presets, not real time control and I don't think you could add a 2nd manual. Although the price was right (at the time) and I did like the organ tone in the end I returned the organ back to the seller.

I've been waiting for an SK or XK1c module but I don't think that is ever going to happen. The most likely candidate for me is the new HX3 module. It sounds fantastic and is actually less expensive than the latest hammond offering (XM2), which is now discontinued. I already own a Voce Midi Drawbar unit, which is compatible with the HX3, so for me the investment is $695 delivered. The distributor of HX3 (Diversi) is 30 minutes from my house.

I purchased the XM2/XMc2 Hammond module thinking that it would be an upgrade from my Voce V5+ but have gone back to the Voce because I think it sounds a bit more authentic, especially in the upper register where the Voce is a bit more rounded. The Voce C/V is actually better than the XM2's washy chorus. The HX3's sound, C/V and leslie are outstanding and for $695 makes it a true bargain (if you already have a midi drawbar unit).

Last edited:
Reaction score
When I got the Viscount, I was looking at the Voce.... but with no leslie emulation, there was another module I'd have to buy (actually I have a BOSS RT??? leslie module, but it just doesn't cut it... however it does allow one to vary the speed via expression pedal, I wish the SK would let me do that instead of just "Slow or Fast". Havent kept up with any of them since I got the Hammond SK... I really like the feel of the board, the size, and being able to use it as an "all purpose" bar board if need be (I like the whirly/rhodes patches, and the strings back aren't bad either). The leslie could use a bit more something.... but, for live it does what it needs to do.....
Haven't heard of the HX3.... one more option for the module guys I would think....

Ask a Question