P-121 problems

Reaction score
My 2yr old P-121 lives in a pretty harsh environment, on my boat. Recently it started to behave a bit strangely- firstly one key began only sounding if played very hard, then I started getting a very weird thing where certain combinations of notes would make an extra note play, very loudly clashing. Extremely off-putting.
I've opened it up and found signs of corrosion and dirt around the key that wouldn't sound out properly. A careful hoover and a blast of contact cleaner and that's all working again.
But the weird discordant note thing is still happening.

I can replace the middle circuit board under the keys fairly easily. Is this likely to be where the problem lies? I didn't spot any damage or corrosion anywhere else.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
How long have you had it on the boat. High humidity and corrosive salt can destroy a keyboard in less than 5 to 6 years.

My advice is to sell it off as a fixer upper and buy something new.

This is just the beginning of your board's problems.

Reaction score
It's been a little over two years.
Unfortunately the only place I can set it up is right under a hatch which is usually open unless we're sailing, and although we're pretty sharp about closing it when rain threatens, it's vulnerable.

Makes me really glad I didn't buy a Nord 😁

I only expect to be living aboard for another couple of years so it doesn't make much sense to buy a new instrument.

The only damage I could see was limited to the middle PCB under the keys, and I can a replacement for £25. But I'm wondering if the 'weird random note' problem could be caused by a fault elsewhere.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My advice for a life at sea is to take up a brass instrument ;)

Sorry man, I'm fresh out of suggestions.

Reaction score
Yeah I do keep it under a plastic cover when not in use... and when I remember!!

I would have just brought my baby grand but, you know, space...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Anyway weak points in salt air.

Ribbon connectors, switches, pots, cold solder joints.

Eventually it will cost more to fix than it's worth.

Maybe one of these? :)

61W2soZ4xnL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Ask a Question