Yamaha P121 Midi IN problems

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Yamaha P121 (short version of P125) as a master keyboard (for small gigs), controlling Gig Performer 4 (soft synth sounds, set lists...), which works really great. When I try to send MIDI program change from GP to P121, it just doesn't work. The only info that P121 is 'willing' to accept is MIDI controll change #122 (local control on/off). Tried it also with dedicated MIDI tools (Pocket MIDI...) but it looks like P121 just isn't capable of accepting PC from outside. And just to clarify, I have Program Change On/Off function turned on... ;)

Is there anybody else with similar experiences?

Reaction score
It looks like the P121/125 accept MIDI Program Change for playback of MIDI files, but that is handled separately from what you're playing live on the keyboard (the idea being that the MIDI file is providing an accompaniment to what you're playing live).

From page 2 of the the board's MIDI Reference Manual (adding italics): "Program change and other like channel messages received will not affect the panel settings of the instrument or the notes you play on the keyboard." Also from page 3, "Normally the instrument will respond to MIDI program change numbers received from a computer, causing the same numbered voice to be selected on the corresponding channel (the keyboard voice does not change)." Also, the chart on page 5 has a row for Program Change where the MIDI Reception column indicates it is recognized for "Song" but not recognized for the Main, Layer, or Left voices (i.e. the ones that are playable from the keyboard). I was surprised the first time I ran into this, too, on a Casio Privia.

But to get around it, I think you're on the right track, having experimented with Local Off. With Local Off, you should be able to go MIDI Out of the board into Gig Performer, have GP send the desired Program Change and echo your keyboard's Note On/Off activity back to the Yamaha, and that should allow you to play whatever internal sound you want, having that sound changed by MIDI Program Change... BUT the front panel patch indicator will not indicate what sound you're playing.

(I don't have the P121/P125, this is just based on your description of the problem, my reading of the manual, and my experience with some other boards.)

Reaction score
Thank you, thank you, thank you...
857fb5dc912f61df0683624c786093f0.png

It works - just had to make another OMNI midi IN in the rackspace and connect it with a MIDI OUT (P121) to create MIDI echo - and yes, now I can easily send PC, make splits, transpose, control volume etc. The only minor thing is (as you've mentioned it) - panel patch indicator does not indicate what sound I'm playing, but that not even an issue...

Ask a Question