PC4 Pitch Wheel

Reaction score
I took my keyboard to the local Kurzweil service shop to replace my pitch bend. This was prearranged with the good people at Sweetwater Sound in Fort Wayne Indiana.

I'm glad I purchased from Sweetwater, they provide an additional year warranty.

If you look closely at the spring arms on my pitch controller you can clearly see how the spring arms rest on the pads. The right side of the spring arm from the picture remains steady on the pad but the left arm slides back behind the pad causing slop on the Wheel and Pitch changes and this is the reason why this happens. This to me is clearly a design flaw and a replacement will be necessary once again unless they redesigned the control.
I did not get a look at the replacement which happens to be an assembly of both the Pitch Wheel and Mod Wheel.
1f60e.png

I should mention the configuration (bend profile) of the left spring arm is different. It rests on the pad further back near the pad edge. I could feel lube all over this area too.

Here is my fix.
A washer 1/16 thick, 3/4 OD X 1/4 ID
This brings the Wheel and Spring further out from the potentiomoner.

Note: the O.D. diameter can be smaller so long as the spring makes full contact with the washer surface!

My Internal Diameter is slightly larger but still works.
I'm just uncertain of the assembly because it moves the Pitch Wheel 1/16 of an inch laterally towards the Mod Wheel. I can't believe this would be a problem....or would it?

Attachments

• Pirch Wheel  fixed.jpg
    Pirch Wheel fixed.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Pitch Wheel view 1.jpg
    Pitch Wheel view 1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 79

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If it's working fine, then I don't think being 1/16" closer to the mod wheel matters-- but I'm no technician. :)

Reaction score
If it's working fine, then I don't think being 1/16" closer to the mod wheel matters-- but I'm no technician. :)
It has to do with the re-mounting of both wheels. If you look at the larger photo you will see what appears to be a solid post but it is actually hollow. The Mod Wheel is the same and they face each other when mounted. What I don't know is if they slide into a post that secure the opposite side of the potentiometer.

Ask a Question