Performance set up/rig

Reaction score
I'm new to performing out on the board with a rock type band. Things have been evolving. I'm so far avoiding DAW stuff and a computer. I am using a Juno DS 88, and added a Ferrofish organ module via midi. Lots of these songs have both organ and piano back and forth. Anyway it was cumbersome switching sounds on the fly to the ferrofish over midi with my little mixer. Turn down the DS quick turn up the ferrofish and use the swell pedal etc., then back to piano. Sheesh. So I just added a little 61 key midi plus board and plan on using that just for the ferrofish. So I'll have the Juno and then to the side the Midiplus running the Ferrofish. Does that make sense or am I going the long way around something?

Reaction score
For me, the bigger reason to add the 61 is for its more organ-suitable action. If your only problem is the switching, there are other solutions. For example, put the Ferrofish on a different MIDI channel, create a Performance that is programmed to activate just that channel, and make it that Performance a Favorite. That will give you a simple single front panel button that will always switch you away from your current sound to your ferrofish. You can then also create Performances that include that channel in its splits/layers so you can combine the ferrofish and the Juno sounds, and/or use the pads to switch among the sounds you need within that performance as needed. I haven't tried something like this myself, but it should work fine.

Reaction score
I know in the back of my mind there are ways to do that but I haven't say down and learned the menu moving and etc of creating patches and performances and so forth. I probably should though. I guess it seemed the separate board was a cleaner solution. I originally started out using my old Roland RD 700. A wonderful board but very heavy. The Juno so much lighter. The Roland even being old, has alot of complicated features which I've never learned. Might be time to finally learn some of the Juno and how to do that stuff....

Ask a Question