Performing live with iPad

Reaction score
I’m a longtime Mainstage user, but I want to switch to an iPad based keyboard rig. Most of the iOS music apps and articles I’ve read tend to focus on recording, sequencing and/or connecting external gear.

I’m only concerned with using an 88 key controller connected to iPad via the CCKit as my live rig; no sequencing, no drum machines, no recording. Mostly piano, wurly, organ, mellotron and some synth pads and various split/layer combinations of those.

So I need an iOS app that can act as a performance based “front end” (like Mainstage does for Logic and third party plug-ins) on the iPad. An app that, once set up with whatever splits and layers of various iOS instruments are needed for a particular song, stays in the foreground and can be used as a midi/audio mixer and route various controllers from the keyboard.

I've glanced at MidiBridge, iMidi Patchbay and Jack, but can't find much info on using those for live performing.

Thanks for any info!

Ask a Question