Piano voice sounds tinny

Reaction score
I just brought home my new DGX670B and I'm disappointed with the grand piano voice. It sounds very tinny, almost like it's an old tack piano. It's like somebody EQ'd all the middle range harmonics out of it. My $200 Casio sounds about the same and my trusty old Roland FP4 sounds much better, much richer. Has anybody else experienced this with the DGX? Is this just what they are supposed to sound like?

Reaction score
Welcome.

There are a limited number of adjustments that can be made to the DGX sound to make it more appropriate to your taste, wether they are enough is a moot point. The manual will detail how to achieve the changes.

We do have some DGX members who hopefully will add their comments.

If you are still not satisfied as it is new you are probably within the allowed return period, so I would suggest that you do that if necessary. There are options of other keyboard manufacturers of DP’s with Arranger features, Casio, Korg and Roland with the FP e50.

Reaction score
Thanks Biggles. I'll try to work my way through the manual and see what transpires. I appreciate your suggestion but I just returned the FPE50 as it didn't have the accompaniment rhythms I wanted. If I could get Yamaha's accompaniments with Kawai's piano for less than $1500 (1170 pounds?) I'd really have something!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
There are several "grand piano" voices on the DGX-670, although they aren't named "Grand Piano" per se. Which one are you using? Have you tried some of the alternatives?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You could always introduce an FX filter/resonance pedal between the keyboard and the amp if you had proper line outs.

A few simple FX can turn any cheap keyboard into a screamer. :D

Reaction score
Is an arranger keyboard with 88 keys a Must Have?

If it is then what you have in the DGX is the best of those that are available, I listed the 4 makers of which there is only one such keyboard in each if their ranges, well in the Casio range there are a couple.

The next 88 key keyboard is the mega bucks Korg Pa5X which yes its exoensive but if that does not have the Styles, nothing will except a Genos 2 but that only has 76 keys.

If you can manage with 61 keys then the Yamaha SX700 will have vastly more Styles and usability v the DGX, and perhaps it has the samples onboard if an 88 note MIDI keyboard is added. I doubt it but its worth asking your Yamaha retailer or if you are in the UK ring A&C Hamilton or Bonners and ask them.

Reaction score
I just brought home my new DGX670B and I'm disappointed with the grand piano voice. It sounds very tinny, almost like it's an old tack piano. It's like somebody EQ'd all the middle range harmonics out of it. My $200 Casio sounds about the same and my trusty old Roland FP4 sounds much better, much richer. Has anybody else experienced this with the DGX? Is this just what they are supposed to sound like?
How are you listening to it (internal speakers, headphones, external amp/speaker)?

Reaction score
Thanks to Biggles, SeaGTGruff and happyrat1 for your advice. Due to some family health issues I have not been able to pursue this issue for a couple of weeks, my apologies for the delay.

Since I posted I have gone through every piano voice in the piano sounds section as well as the variations on the DGX grand voice. I have also gone back to Washington Music Center and played the DGX on the floor. It appears that my instrument is working properly and I just do not like the CFX grand voice that Yamaha brags about. I have played through a couple sets of speakers and headphones and nothing has made any significant change. At this point the problem appears to lie in my taste and my hearing, not a malfunction. If Yamaha's concert grand actually sounds like this sample then it's the worst piano I ever heard, and I used to sell pianos so I've heard quite a few.

I tried the Kawai ES90 while at the store and liked the piano voice but it's a pretty limited arranger and twice the price - oh well...

I want the 88 keys and a good piano type action so some of the other arranger options don't fit my needs. So I'm now investigating how to bring in another piano sound from some other source. It's been suggested I try some virtual pianos through my laptop. I also believe it's possible to bring a midi piano into the DGX through the usb port? Quite honestly if I could add the piano voice from my trusty old FP4 to the DGX it would be a good compromise.
Either way it looks like I have to finally learn how to deal with midi. It's tough being an old dog when you have to learn new tricks...

Reaction score
If you have an iPad or iPhone then connecting it up to the DGX and use the Ravenscroft 275 and the Genuine Sounds Vol 1 apps may give you the piano sound that you want.

I am not sure if additional sounds can be added to the DGX.

As it is Digital Pianos with arranger features are few and far between, Korg, Casio and Roland produce them at about the same price point as your DGX which is the top of Yamaha’s range of DP’s with the arranger features.

In fact there is only one other Arranger with 88 keys with the ability to add additional sound packs and that is the Korg Pa5X 88 but that retails for £3200. Global Sounds and Wavesart both sell sound packs. I have a 76 key Pa5X and between the four prime “Grand” piano sounds available they all sound very good to my old ears.

Ask a Question