Problems recording Korg D1 audio using audio interface

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought an M-Audio Air 162/4 audio interface and I'm trying to record my Korg D1 using Abelton Live Lite or Pro Tools. In both cases the audio is distorted. Here is a video of the audio issue that occurs when I play the piano and record using Ableton:

And here is a Reddit thread where I include images of my Ableton settings: https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/comments/g4gr96
According to one user on Reddit my settings are fine. He thinks it has something to do with the Korg D1. Does anyone know what might be the problem? I've been searching for an answer everywhere.

Reaction score
Welcome.

Do you get the same problem using Line 2 input?

Are you also using the D1 left output to feed the M Audio unit.

Typically the Left output is a mix of L&R if no plug is inserted into the Right output socket. I am not sure if this is the case with the D1 but the manual should tell you if you are as unsure as I.

The M Audio unit is intended for a Mike in Line 1 and a Guitar in Line 2.

Reaction score
I only have one cable so I haven't tried the line 2. The cable I have won't fit in the line 2. I'm using a 10 foot Hosa STX110M TRS - XLRM cable. I'm connecting it from the Line Out L/mono on the keyboard to the Line Input 1 on the 192/4. Maybe I'm using the wrong cable?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It may be TS output instead of TRS. In all likelihood that should be it. Dunno if that would affect the sound though.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Welcome.

Do you get the same problem using Line 2 input?

Are you also using the D1 left output to feed the M Audio unit.

Typically the Left output is a mix of L&R if no plug is inserted into the Right output socket. I am not sure if this is the case with the D1 but the manual should tell you if you are as unsure as I.

The M Audio unit is intended for a Mike in Line 1 and a Guitar in Line 2.

Hi again. So I bought a TS cable and plugged it from the line out on the keyboard into the line 2 of the M-Audio. But in when I play notes the mix level in Ableton is greyed out and I can't hear any audio. See this video:

Here are the settings on my m-audio:

new.jpg

Do you have any idea what may be wrong this time?

Reaction score
Have you gone into the Settings in your iMac, specifically the Audio MIDI Setup to ensure that the signal path inside your iMac functions and the level settings are at an adjustment point that enables the software to work?

IMacs do not operate plug and play functionality as a Windows computer does, you frequently have to manually setup a device.

If the above does not function I would then be thinking that the issue is with the M-Audio unit which is intended for a Mike into Line 1 and a Guitar into Line 2.

Both these will have a different impedance and signal level compared to an interface unit which is intended for line output levels.

I would then buy another MIDI interface unit from a source where you can return it foc within 30 days. You could then check out your recording again using this device. A Behringer UMC204HD is what I use to connect my instruments up to my Windows Laptop. If you consider this route then please advise before you buy and I will give this unit of mine a test on my Wife’s iMac to see if I can get recording one of my instruments

Reaction score
Have you gone into the Settings in your iMac, specifically the Audio MIDI Setup to ensure that the signal path inside your iMac functions and the level settings are at an adjustment point that enables the software to work?

IMacs do not operate plug and play functionality as a Windows computer does, you frequently have to manually setup a device.

If the above does not function I would then be thinking that the issue is with the M-Audio unit which is intended for a Mike into Line 1 and a Guitar into Line 2.

Both these will have a different impedance and signal level compared to an interface unit which is intended for line output levels.

I would then buy another MIDI interface unit from a source where you can return it foc within 30 days. You could then check out your recording again using this device. A Behringer UMC204HD is what I use to connect my instruments up to my Windows Laptop. If you consider this route then please advise before you buy and I will give this unit of mine a test on my Wife’s iMac to see if I can get recording one of my instruments

I changed the audio setting on the iMac so the M-Audio was set to both input and output. But the audio settings said it has no input controls. Not sure if that matters. The M-Audio is receiving a signal I just can't hear any audio when I play back. I'd be willing to buy a new unit, but I'm just surprised a keyboard won't work with this one. Maybe that is the problem though.

Ask a Question