Problems with threads that have links to online video

Reaction score
I now very rarely look at the What Are You Listening To thread and others that have a lot of video links posted on them.

It is not because I do not want to watch them it is because there are so many included in a single post and that the next post also has a lot video links included, the net result is that my iPad grinds to a halt loading the page of thread posts and it often crashes the site for me.

Can I suggest that you only include one video per post in these types of thread.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
My iPad also locks up when trying to load pages that have a lot of videos and (I think) certain scripted elements, not just on these forums but all over the web. The people who design internet content have gone overboard on filling webpages with flashy stuff to catch our attention, video clips that start playing automatically even if we've tried to set our device to not do that-- even multiple videos for multiple ads in addition to the page's main video. It's almost like the content designers are trying to break the internet.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The limitation of the forum software, I think, is 5 videos per message, 20 messages per page.

It's not a problem for my desktop but if you are viewing it on a cellphone or a tablet perhaps you might try reducing the number of pages you view at a time or use a stripped down browser designed for cellphones?

I've seen some websites that automatically detect your platform and present a stripped down bare bones website for the tablet impaired.

I can't say that I really like the result.

Then again I don't use a tablet for anything even remotely serious.

I would really hate to see the website "dumbed down" overall for the sake of the lowest common denominator.

With a smartphone in every pocket I already see too much of this happening. :p

We should bring this up with Ian and see if there's an option to limit the viewable number of messages per page.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
It is not a question of dumbing down, 20 messages per page each with five videos is a lot of info for a device to load

Much better to have 20 single video posts spread over 5 pages than all on one page.

In this age I am pretty sure most forum users will be on their tablet of mobile phone

I do not tend to like a post where there are multiple videos for how would the poster know which video relates to the like?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Considering I NEVER surf the web on a tablet or phone I guess I don't have a dog in this fight.

Perhaps your answer will materialize once 5G becomes the standard?

Personally though, I think tablets are a poor man's substitute for a real computer.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Perhaps your answer Col is to pick up a Chromebook and use that instead of your ten year old tablet to surf the web.

They are reasonably priced and very quick and effective at loading and viewing webpages.

I own an older model Acer Chromebook myself and it does a very satisfactory job of rendering even the most graphically intensive websites.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
After reading this thread I ran a few tests and have come to the conclusion that the problem lies with your antique ipads.

Both my 4 year old chromebook and my 2 year old Samsung tablet loaded up the pages in question in under 4 seconds.

Therefore gentlemen I strongly advise that you upgrade your hardware or internet connections to something a little more current.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Firstly because the sheer number of new messages would be the next complaint.

And secondly because I am not going to pander to one or two users of ten year old obsolete hardware,

On many occasions you have boasted how your second hand ten year old iPad is just as good as a modern one.

Now its deficiencies have become obvious but let's be realistic. How much longer do you plan to limp along with this antique until you finally upgrade your hardware. And you can't be telling me this is the only computing device that you own.

The way I see it, you are the only one here who has to make compromises. Not everyone else.

Gary ;)

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, you can buy a Samsung 8" Galaxy Tablet for less than a 150 UK Pounds, the same as the one I tested, without having to spend a thou on a new ipad.

If you really want to stay current on the cheap there are far worse options.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I use Android and do not experience the problem in question.
Mine is an old mother too but does a good job. A little sluggish at times but that could also be at peak times. I also switch off the WiFi at home sometimes and that works a gem.

I use my android for internet surfing too. I use my PC at home as well and multiple videos on the one posting causes no problem apart from the occassional buffering.

So I guess Col's problem maybe isolated.

BTW . . I wonder sometimes does Ian have an endless pit of data bank to run this website? Some of the videos we post are massive in size.

Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually inline attachments are limited to about 100K max. The only data stored on site are photographs and tiny zip attachments.

Otherwise photos and videos and MP3 files are stored as offsite links only.

I must admit though, that Ian is using a fairly decent hosting provider though and speed is almost never an issue for me.

Agreed the original problem seems to be confined to vintage ipads only and they make up such a small minority there is no reason to change the way we do things around here.

Face it. If you want to be an Apple fanboy these days you either pay the price for the upgrades or else you limit the range of your abilities. The two are mutually exclusive properties.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question