PSR E373 No notation in the LCD?

Reaction score
Hello! I am a total beginner and I bought the e373 following the numerous advices about the quality.

The funny part is that as a beginner I feel it will more than welcome to see the notation in the LCD like I see in the partitures. I know later I would not mind but right now I feel like I am losing a lot of time figure it out and I saw that previous PSR had it. Does anybody knows if I can activate at least the numerical notation in the LCD?

Also why Yamaha removed that functionality from a beginner keyboard? In fact I am thinking to buy older models cause of that. Thank you

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
e373 is simplicity for the user.
Just select a voice and play. Tap the corresponding No. Your selection will be displayed on the screen.
Same applies for selecting styles.
It will be displayed on the screen also.

Reaction score
Yeah
e373 is simplicity for the user.
Just select a voice and play. Tap the corresponding No. Your selection will be displayed on the screen.
Same applies for selecting styles.
It will be displayed on the screen also.
Yeah , but E363 had the notation functionality, and E463 and EZ 220... the new versions EZ 300 , E373, E473 looks like they lost it. As a beginner it helps me to know and familiarize with the notes and where they are. In fact for me is more useful than the virtual map of the keys...

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
The chords to the left of the split point are displayed.
The notes to the right of the split point are not displayed but you don't really need to see those. Actually you should be looking at the score (sheet music) and not the screen.

Reaction score
You would be best to avoid looking at the screen once you have selected the Style and Sounds.

As Ray suggests, its the score that matters.

The most useful practice you can do is to learn the Major and Minor Chords and to practice them, the. Learn the chord inversions, it really is simplicity to train your muscle memory, it just takes time and practice.

Start with a slow tempo and go for accuracy, then increase the Tempo.

Good luck

Reaction score
Hello! I really appreciate the advice! Still thinking this is a Beginners keyboard. It helps at the beginning to have the notation cause this is like learning a new language. Some people put stickers in the keys ( I was doing that when I was learning German and it helped me) , some people dont. In my case I would like to have the notes like in previous models. And if Yamaha (and other brands) were doing it is because they know the pedagogic value. I was only surprised that in an entry keyboard they took away the option but they kept the virtual key map that for me is useless, my fingers know what keys I am pressing

Reaction score
Yes, all the E series are aimed at the beginner market and whilst they have features supposedly to aide learning the terrible screen that they fit to this range makes life difficult due to its very small size.

There are Apps like Flowkey and especially Playground Sessions that you may find very useful and they are well worth checking out.

There are plenty of resources here on the forum that will also help so do check them out.

Search for Practice Routine fir the posts, read and watch and develop your own system, one that works for you.

Reaction score
Thank you again! I was taking a look into the E463 but after reading in different forums and reading the manuals I am between the Korg EK-50 L and the Casio CT-X5000. Pretty similar money. My aim is to play alone (a bit of everything) and I would love to join a friends band that usually play pop/rock songs. Any advice or comments are more than welcome. Even if there is another model like for example Yamaha

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Any advice or comments are more than welcome.

Hello! I am a total beginner and I bought the e373

! I was taking a look into the E463 but

I am between the Korg EK-50 L and the Casio CT-X5000. Pretty similar money. My aim is to play alone (a bit of everything) and I would love to join a friends band that usually play pop/rock so

I sense ,"anxiety "

You just need to relax and concentrate on learning at this stage. Just be comfortable with the e 373 whilst learning. Plan on shopping for advanced model later on.

Take it easy!
Give yourself some space.
Learn the chords!
Practice! ENJOY!

Reaction score
Thank you again! I was taking a look into the E463 but after reading in different forums and reading the manuals I am between the Korg EK-50 L and the Casio CT-X5000. Pretty similar money. My aim is to play alone (a bit of everything) and I would love to join a friends band that usually play pop/rock songs. Any advice or comments are more than welcome. Even if there is another model like for example Yamaha
The Casio sucks, dodgy sounds, terrible operating system and a lot of menu diving.

I bought one a a put me on, arrived on a Friday, returned the following Monday.

The Korg is vastly better and I would rate it better than and in the Yamaha E series

Reaction score
That's the problem, I don't feel comfortable with the E373. I bought it trusting in opinions but I know is not for me.

I am not a teenager and this is not a house. I like to play but I prefer to spend more and have something better that I feel confortable and also helping me. That keyboard doesn't help

I sense ,"anxiety "

You just need to relax and concentrate on learning at this stage. Just be comfortable with the e 373 whilst learning. Plan on shopping for advanced model later on.

Take it easy!
Give yourself some space.
Learn the chords!
Practice! ENJOY!

Reaction score
Yeah, I have seen the Casio official videos to handle and is a nightmare of menus. Korg looks muuuch better but the manual is very dissapointing.

Anyway thanks for the tips. Any model recommendations or comments are welcomed
The Casio sucks, dodgy sounds, terrible operating system and a lot of menu diving.

I bought one a a put me on, arrived on a Friday, returned the following Monday.

The Korg is vastly better and I would rate it better than and in the Yamaha E series

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I can understand your frustrations with e373.
It is a beginners model after all.
But you are a beginner learning. So, still as I said . . patience man!
Give yourself some learning time. Don't rush out and buy another KB you might regret again later on.
Also, bear in mind that a lot of reviews are personal feelings and bias. You need to test drive yourself Korgs, Yamaha's and Casios. But not yet.. At least 6 months learning since you are raw.

Reaction score
An update about this in case there are more people with the same feeling. I was trying different keyboards and at the end I bought a second hand e463 for less price than the e373 and man ... what a difference. And I am not talking about the quality, is more about helping what are you doing and learning in the same way.

Maybe the e373 has a lot of stuff packed for that price and the lessons module but without the notation that lessons feel empty. The interface of E373 is for people that already know how to play so I would say is not really an entry keyboard.

As I said I tried Casios and the system is complicated but the interface is better. Honestly I really liked Casios (sounds, keys...) but too chaotic menu and screen... I hope Casio will release a new model for CT X3000 or 5000 with a better menu / LCD and for sure I would buy it.

Anyway, my advice for beginners: go for a good entry keyboard that shows you the notation in the screen (CT X700 / CT X 800 or E463).

P.s: I know e373 is great but right now trying to sell mine and there is a LOT of people selling it in second hand pages in my country. Meanwhile E463 are gone in less than 24 hours (right now 0 in offer) I hope that should make you think Yamaha.

Reaction score
Glad things are working out for you.

What you will probably find here is that we suggest the PSR E473 as the one to go for as a serious beginner, yes it is more expensive but it is worth the extra.

Alternatively the Kord EK 50, which IMO is better, but more geared as a Home Entertainment keyboard.

Do keep saving and make the transition to a PSR SX700 when you feel capable.

Reaction score
Thank you Biggles. I considered E473 but for me has the same problem than E373. The info in the screen. I mean the left side were it was the notation now you have Mic and Touch info...

For me the new distribution in the display for E373 and E473 is much worse than E363/E463 and you can see they saved a lot of money reducing the display info. Looks like they are selling E473 and E373 like crazy and the only one that is in second hand pages is the E373...

I considered the EK50 too. Really good one and I would choose it before the E473 (for a beginner like me I prefer intuitive, simple and useful interface) but you need to be acquainted and learn the notes for normal music notes.

For PSR SX700 no need to save but I guess it will take years... pity I did not discover it when i was a kid

Thanks everybody for the advices!

Ask a Question