question for beginner

Reaction score
hi, i recently got into music production to make dance music.

i am a complete beginner when it comes to playing the keyboard, i recently purchased a midi keyboard for my computer.

my question is:

if you hear a melody in a song, or a riff, can you easily play it on the piano/keyboard from memory, or does it take you a while to figure out what notes were played.

like if i hear a song and i want to play back the piano part myself, i have no idea how, its like trial and error. how fast can you do it with experience, and how long would it take me until i can do it?

thanks

Reaction score
Keep working at it until you get that ability. There's no possible way to say how long it will take you. Some people are naturally better at sightreading and some are naturally better at playing by ear. Some people are more musically gifted than others.

Just a thought though: if you want to play a song you've heard by you're not technically good enough to play a similar song you already know, or you don't know how to play in that particular style well, it doesn't matter how good your ear is, you won't succeed. Basic technique is the foundation of any musician's skills.

Reaction score
'

Kanthos is absolutely correct... the only way to learn is to work at it.
What I would add, though, is that if your main interest is in the dance music
area, then someone with even modest ability should be able to pick it up fairly
quickly.
There are a number of recognised chord sequences/riffs which are commonly
used - maybe jigged about with a little - and repetition & more repetition
is one of the key elements of this style of music.
People who want to simply dance the night away are not that interested in
listening to the intricacies you find in more 'serious' music - as long as there's a
steady rhythm for them to follow (usually 130 - 140 bpm) that'll do for them!

Ask a Question