Real Time/Sheet Music

Reaction score
I want to produce lead sheets in real time, as opposed to stepping with my midi keyboard.
I picked up a Mio usb/midi cable.
Will this cable be adequate?
What software is up to the task?

Thanks for your time/knowledge.

It's both midi and software so I placed my post here.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If I understand what you're wanting to do, you should be able to
1) record the keyboard's MIDI output with a DAW as you play a song,
2) clean things up if desired (i.e., fix any bad notes, quantize to make the note timings consistent, fix anything that got quantized in the wrong direction, etc.),
3) save the MIDI recording as a standard MIDI file (SMF),
4) load the SMF into a notation program to spiffy it up, and
5) save your masterpiece and print it.

Some notation programs let you enter notes from your keyboard, but often they don't operate in "real time," whereas recording the MIDI in a DAW first will let you play in real time.

There are free DAWs and free notation programs, so you don't even have to spend a dime.

A few free DAWs are PreSonus Studio One Prime, Sony ACID Xpress, Tracktion T4, and Willow Software Anvil Studio.

A few free notation programs are FORTE Notation Free, MakeMusic Finale NotePad, MuseScore, and NCH Crescendo.

Reaction score
My real goal is to be able to just breathe into my flute and have printed music.
Have not found anyone who can confirm this has finally been accomplished.
All thoughts welcome.

Even though I can hand scribe what I play, I would like to give others a printed copy for easy reading.
I remember the early DOS based programs that I used when the kids were young and I was teaching as necessary. Today's programs are well improved.

In 1960 as a second year tenor sax boy playing with the Maestro Wind something or other, blowing some wild tones....... looked at my teacher, who worked his way thru Julliard writing the charts/arrangements for Radio City etc, played piano in movie theaters as a teenager, and telling him that this electronic music gear will be fun.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Pick up an Akai EWI USB for less than $300.

It has various fingering configurations including Boehm Flute.

I personally own one already.

http://www.amazon.com/Akai-EWI-USB-Professional-Instrument-Controller/dp/B001MTKAD0

Either that or else spend twice as much on a Yamaha WX5.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/yamaha-wx5-midi-wind-controller

Either one will allow you to blow into your computer's DAW software sequencer and depending on the software allow you to print out a score.

As a bonus it will also allow you to control not only soft synths on your computer but also your keyboard voices thru MIDI as well :D

You haven't lived til you've blown an Orchestra Hit or Conga Drums thru a wind instrument :D

If you get one I can talk you thru the nuts and bolts of setting it up :D

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
You did have it right Sea.
The first goal is to make lead sheets in real time using a keyboard.
I'll work on that ASAP.
Thx
The end goal would be to blow flute and have it print as played with accuracy to semiquavers.
I will check Forte and others.

It still is nice to have a keyboard/computer setup when keyboard players stop by the house to rehearse/create.

Happyrat, I did some googling then posted on SOTW several days ago as to my two goals. An immediate reply was to get an EWI...... I was told it would do real time printing with the proper software.
My response was that would take $$$ away from getting a platinum alto flute and a gym membership so as to be able to hold it up. :D
Thanks for your generous offer and hey.... an EWI might happen.

Mama said if you stay healthy and live long enough you just might get to do everything you want. :)

I'm transitioning from four decades of working with yachts/electronics and am putting together an old business to put others to work with my kayak designs and firearm stocks.
Yes, I'm a Yank. ;)

I'm a schooled musician and except for an occasional break I've managed to keep my chops together to sit in with full time players.
Jazzman, Rocker, Rider of the Purple Sage....... and a thief of Classic music to jazz. Jazz is a verb.
Not a first chair symphony player but accomplished.

Thanks again you all.

Last edited:

Ask a Question