Recording

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Thanks blokes!
Simplicity hit a brickwall. Dam!
I am not cool with this techno paraphernalia.

Perhaps is better than NO. So that does give me slight optimism.

I shall plug away . . bury myself in a manual or two and bite the bullet to buy that special lead.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Little steps Ray and you will get there.

Have you tried to record using the onboard sequencer in your S650?

If not then why not try working through that section of the manual?

One of quite a few online tutorial vids and whilst this is for a 670 it is probably similar to your model

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Thanks mate . .
I shall look at that.
I may take a break from all of this for a while.
We have a long weekend starting today Friday "Australia Day" holiday Monday. We have a few functions all weekend and then after that, wife and I are heading north to the mighty Murray river . . 4 hr drive from Melbourne. We are having a 4 - 5 day break. No fires up there and hopefully no smoke.
I appreciate all the advice and will certainly get back onto this project mid Feb.
Thanks again
Ray

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Back on track now . . had my short break.
I want to pursue the recording issue.
The local keyboard shop reckons I need one of these . . cost $75.00
Said it will connect from Keyboard and record through USB connection to Audacity in "Stereo"

Any thoughts . . before I take the plunge.
thanks
Ray
UM2.jpg

Reaction score
First, I suggest that you use the onboard recording functions, Page 40 of the manual tells you how.

Then move on to using a PC only when you are happy using the functions of the S650.

Try simply using Audacity to record your voice with a mike this will get you used to using the software.

For your S650 there are two possible ways to connect without using a device like this, (1) via USB cable direct to your laptop/PC or (2) direct via analogue audio.

Your S650 has a USB to Host socket so simply connect a standard A to B USB cable between your keyboard and PC and see how it goes but you may need to route around with the settings in Audacity as per prior advice to get it functioning.

The Behringer device can take an audio input from the output from the S650 and another from a mike if this is required and then there is a USB A to B cable that connects the Behringer to your PC, the device can also output audio directly.

If your PC has an audio input socket you do not need the Behringer since you just need to connect the S650 audio outputs to the audio inputs of the PC.

If the PC does not have an audio input socket then you will need the Behringer.

My thoughts are get used to analogue audio recording first then move on to MIDI.

Last edited:

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
First, I suggest that you use the onboard recording functions,
Done this. It is complicated to use and frustrating results.
For your S650 there are two possible ways to connect without using a device like this, (1) via USB cable direct to your laptop/PC or (2) direct via analogue audio.
tried (1) . . It does not work. There is no line in on the laptop.
No idea what (2) is.
If your PC has an audio input socket you do not need the Behringer
It does not have input socket.

Thanks for your suggestions.
I will now go and buy the Behringer unit and hopefully put all this frustration and anguish behind me and start recording.

Cheers
Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You know what Ray? You're on the right track. Like everything else there's a learning curve and we all make mistakes along the way.

Doing your homework only takes you so far.

Assuming you want to record to a laptop I agree that laptop soundcards and inputs are for the birds.

A USB interface like the Behringer is a simple way to get audio into a laptop.

You will need a proper TRS to TS Stereo breakout cable though, since the low end Yamahas use the Headphone Jack to deliver a line output signal.

DON'T FORGET to set the headphone output to line level when you hook them up though.

Then you'll have to enable the USB Soundcard in Windows so that Audacity recognizes it.

Push a few buttons ad Bob's yer uncle. You're a recording star :)

Good luck man.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ray

Have you tried recording audio via a mike in Audacity, your laptop will have a built in mike and it is a case of selecting it as the recording source?

Learning how to use the software first before spending any cash on gear would be a more logical learning route.

Analogue audio is what you hear through the S650’s speakers or in your headphones.

Also, when we say analogue outputs and line outputs they are basically one in the same thing.

The headphones output of your S650 doubles as a line output but you have to set the volume level low and gradually turn it up once connected and Audacity is set up for recording. The Yamaha manual I looked through is pretty poor at providing detail and if you look through the Function memory you may find a setting that allows you to toggle the output socket between headphone signal level and line level.

Before you splash out on the Behringer can you you describe precisely what you did, word for word?

What I am trying to ascertain is if the S650 supplies line audio via the USB cable, if it does you do not need the Behringer.

MIDI does not record audio, think of it as a digital recorder where it records which key is played, the duration the note is pressed and when these actions take place related to the time signature.

When you come to use a DAW then that will just use the USB connection cable between keyboard and computer and the Behringer will not be needed.

That is all for know, best wishes in your learning.

PS
You may find that your U3A has an IT or Computer Group and someone there will no doubt be able to help on learning how to record on a PC.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hey Col,
Thanks for explaining analogue for me. And thanks for all the other advice.
Firstly, The Audacity is working fine and the PC mike is recording ok. I have recorded a tune via mike and it works fine. But this does not interest me because it does not pick up some of the awesome DSP sounds produced by Yamaha. Also it will lose a lot of the bass. The clarity is missing big time.
I am only interested in direct line input "audio sound" not MIDI.

Before you splash out on the Behringer can you you describe precisely what you did, word for word?

Word for word would be encyclopaedic in my case. I also had some off line help (from Cowboy Paul for one). We tried all sorts of cables and connections and tweaked the settings across the menu bar top of Audacity's page. Splash out $75 is not such a big deal if it works and then I can run with it with simplicity.

Gary suggests I run with it too and Paul said also I definitely need some hardware.
Having tried leads through the Headphone jack (did not work) I also I bought other leads to fit the other jacks at the back of my KB (none of those worked either) However I got a message at the bottom of my PC screen that the computer was setting up my "Musical Keyboard" . . How did it know? Anyway no idea where that went! Audacity did not recognise it!
The U3A keyboard class had put me on a wait list until now. Now I have a spot but the tutor has taken a break for two weeks. I have met him and he has a PSR S 970 so will probably give me some good advice too. (when I finally get started). The IT courses are all full at the moment.

Anyway, thanks again.

Ray (patience is a virtue) :)

Reaction score
Ray

Keep at it with Audacity, sound quality is not a concern at present, it is just a case of getting comfortable with the software. Audacity is very good and has features included that matches software that used to cost $500 so it is worth the effort.

If you connect a USB cable directly from the USB Host port on the rear of the keyboard to the USB socket on the PC then turn on your S650 the PC will then “see” the Yamaha and install the Driver software to enable the PC to communicate with the keyboard and vica versa. That said Drivers can be very picky and they may or may not work especially with older kit.

This is why I have been asking you to try making the connection and making the settings as per the USB recording section on the Audacity manual that I gave you the link for in a prior post. Can you confirm or otherwise that you have tried this procedure?

The procedure is one that you will have to use if you connect up using the Behringer so you do need to be comfortable using it.

This is the link to the Behringer website and the UM2

Do download and read the manual, it is available via the Downloads tab, also take a look at the downloads that are available in particular the Software and ASIO4All USB audio driver.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Since I have not bought the "Behringer" yet, I have been playing with the inbuild recording feature within the KB.
Perseverance has worked. Got it worked out and I can record maximum of 5 tunes. I believe I can load these 5 onto a memory stick and then delete from the KB and do another 5 and so on . . What to do with the memory stick, I have no idea yet. Maybe I can load the tunes into Audacity? Maybe I need another program.
My goal is to put my tunes onto soundcloud or youtube or box as some people here do.
Not got as far as the first 5 yet . . just experimenting. But thanks for the tip Col.
Ray

Reaction score
The files on the memory stick should be able to be played on PC but & and you must know by now how often I use the word but, that there are caveats.

I am unsure as to the format that the S650 will save the song, it could be either of WAV, MP3 or MID formats.

Audacity should play WAV and MP3 files but if they do not if you download and install a media player called VLC that plays just about anything.

You may have seen in other threads my comments like a WAV is a WAV is a WAV in that how the file is encoded has a bearing on what will play it back. Hence often it is a case of suck it and see.

Now if your files are MID then Cakewalk or Ableton Lite should play them but you will need your S650 connected, powered up and functioning since the instrument sounds that the MIDI file has associated with it will not be on the PC but on the Yamaha.

Hope this does not add to any confusion.

Tips
Do not unplug a memory stick from a PC without Ejecting it, failure to do a controlled ejection can permanently damage a memory stick.

I also only plug in and unplug memory sticks from keyboards with the keyboard powered off, just to be on the safe side.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Thks Col . .I am so glad you know this stuff and willing to share it. I need to copy and save your post for later reference. Cheers. Ray

Reaction score
You are very welcome to my meagre help.

I am up to my neck in computers, my mate has made a hash of his two laptops (one old and one new) and I have spent two days sorting out the mess.

Another tip.
Never ever use any Cloud services for any files or data that you do not have backed up on your own hardware. Cloud services btw are remote file storage systems offered via Microsoft and their One Drive, Apple, Adobe and the like.

Ask a Question